Wednesday 19 October 2016

AWI Campaign Plans and Pictures

For my next campaign I am going to use my Peter Laing AWI models. A fair part of this post is a bit of an excused to show some closer shots of my Peter Laing collection as most of my previous pictures have been of games in play and the troops have been at a distance.

British light infantry supported by some loyalist troops
For the campaign I am not trying anything too complicated with the aim of having about 10 battle games. To create a bit of unpredicatbility I am considering a campaign season of 10 months starting March and running through to December. The months will be split into two segments so the campaign will have 20 segments. For each segment I roll one dice - on a 4+ there is a battle and with each roll (battle or not) the campaign clock moves forward a segment. The winner is the side with the most wins. I will be creating a map of sorts to track the score.

American Continental infantry and commander supported by their artillery
The campaign clock will help determine the likely weather for the games to create some challenges both in the set up and during a game.

American Militia
In some recent one-off games I have selected all my available units for both sides, and for each side divided them up into 3 columns with no restriction on the column size. Then using a deck of cards select 2 of the columns from each and set the forces up on the tabletop. The column not selected was deemed as being too far away to influence the battle. I will continue to use this in the campaign as it presents an opportunity to have a large column in the hope it gets selected (although I may stipulate a maximum size).

British commander with cavalry, grenadiers and artillery
I now need to write up these considerations and ideas into some rules and draw a map to track the games. I like the idea of somehow drawing dotted lines on a map and crossed swords wherever a battle is fought. Not sure how to work that at present and will give it some though as I continue to finalise my current iteration of my Sci-Fi rules and put the page back up.

A final picture for fans of Peter Laing models who like me rue the fact they didn't buy more...

British infantry



12 comments:

  1. Peter,
    Superb figures you have painted there- well done! - they DO have a distinctive and irresistible charm. Look forward to this AWI Campaign - and your Battle Map/s. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KEV. They also lend themselves to a simple painting approach. Regards, Peter

      Delete
  2. Peter, Thank you for the close up shots of your Peter Laing figures. I wish I could get my hands on some of those. I have some of the Peter Laing WSS figures, that could possibly pass for AWI. I am looking forward to the campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have but a handful left over to be painted. I lack cavalry and Indians and will have to complete with some other manufacturer. Regards, Peter

      Delete
  3. Peter, love the figures and am highly envious!
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. The toys look lovely. I am also afflicted with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Chris an Ian for your comments. I am fortunate to have two periods of Peter Laing figures (AWI and WW1) both bought in the late 1970s, stored away, and recently resurrected from their boxes to return the tabletop. Regards, Peter

    ReplyDelete
  6. These beautiful lines are very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. One of the advantages of 15mm. Regards, Peter

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you. It is always a joy to line them up on the tabletop at the beginning of a game. Regards, Peter

      Delete