Tuesday 7 March 2017

Painting 19th Century Imagi-nation figures

After very little painting activity this year I have finally started work on painting up some imagi-nations figures. I had a few attempts at painting the unit trying to find the best way to paint them. They are 30 year old Spencer-Smith plastic figures which have not succumbing to brittle plastic syndrome. They passed the bend and break test.

Spencer Smith plastic figures
With the first painting test I tried painting them all grey then applying a two colours. First a dark then lighten version of the colour. This approach had worked out well for me with my Hundred Years War Minifigs armies. However, this approach did not look quite right and also takes a bit of time to do and I wanted to paint them quicker.

the trumpeter easily converts to a flag bearer.
After a couple of tries I ended with a very simple approach of painting the basic tunic colour all over, then applying trouser colour, facings, hat, etc. I kept the colour palette to only 5 colours.



The uniform colours are based upon European uniforms from the 1860-1870 period. Google search providing the images to help create colour scheme used.

The next stage is to decide upon suitable basing for units so they can represent infantry in a line and column.

6 comments:

  1. I think that is the way to go for fast painting. I know some gamers are increasingly turning to a coloured primer (Army Painter) to get the same effect all in one process ....... very useful if you are doing something like ACW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A technique I can hopefully apply if I select the right uniforms, and speed up the painting process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you -It is fun putting these old figures to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter,
    Now -an Imaginations Army with Spencer Smith figures - that IS an interesting project indeed- look forward to it's evolution. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KEV. The project will evolve as I do not have a set idea in my mind as to what I want at the end.

      Delete