Sunday 5 November 2017

Quick and easy war-game terrain hedges

Not a lot of modelling or wargaming this weekend due to a short get away trip. Although these trips do allow for a little bit of downtime involving reading in the evenings with no TV or computer distractions. So with perfect timing the day before departing two books turned up.

Timely arrivals
"Napoleonic Wargaming" by Neil Thomas is in preparation as my current project, painting up a number of old plastic Spencer Smith Napoleonic miniatures, is progressing quite well with over half the figures painted.

Dragon Rampant will be used with some of my old Orcs and a spontaneous purchase from a few month back - the Age of Sigmar starter box.

Spontaneous purchase - Warhammer Age of Sigmar
Earlier this week I was playing a few WW2 Northern Europe games and required a few more hedges which could act as bocage in my games. So late this Sunday I quickly made up some from a couple of large scrub pads I had left over from making trees. I only have before and after photos due to a flat phone and I finished by the time it had recharged!

Scrub pads where cut into 4 and 6 inch lengths and shaped
Finished hedges after a light spray of a sand colour and dry brushing a mid green and brown colours. 
The scrub pads were cut into lengths and then shaped with a series of V-cuts and trimmed. After which they got a light dusting with a sand coloured spray paint which provided highlights. Once dry the final step was a quick dry brushing of a mid green colour followed by a dark brown. The sprayed highlights helped the dry brushing take to the plastic pads.

One hour later the hedges (bocage) was in action on the tabletop
Because of the scrubbing pad thickness there is no need to base the hedges 
A close up showing the effects of spraying and dry brushing


4 comments:

  1. Excellent hedges and a method I have used for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very pleasing when a method delivers results so quickly.

      Delete
  2. I think I still have a small box fill of such hedgerows kicking around somewhere. Rather than cut gouges into the tops, though, I recall teasing out the matting a little. True, the hedges look a little too regular, but they are suggestive of thinning foliage at the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give that a try on a couple of hedges where they look a bit too neat. Thanks.

      Delete