Sunday, 20 September 2026

Scratch building some mountains for my Samurai games

I am always impressed by the screen paintings of Samurai battles. Many of them depict armies fighting in mountainous terrain. So I thought it was time to have a go at making some mountains for the tabletop.

A scene from one of the screens I always enjoy looking at again and again.

I decided to use upholstery foam to make the mountains. It is a firm foam that can be shaped with a large, sharp knife, and for this job I used my sharpest carving knife. I cut out two identical pieces of foam, or as close to identical as possible, then placed them back to back and began carving them into shape.

The foam is carved using a large sharp knife.

Once I was happy with the shape, it was time to start painting. I use a household acrylic paint. I have a tin of green paint which I use for my basing and other terrain pieces so I have a consistent colour tone to my tabletop. When painting the foam I occasionally dipped my brush in water just to help make the paint flow better when using a scrubbing motion with my old brush.

Before the paint was dry, and it does take a long time to dry when applied to the foam, I added some brown paint which I blended in with the green. Finally, I used a sand coloured paint to lighten up areas, again blending it in with the brown and green.

A completed mountain.

Once the paint has dried, you can dry-brush a lighter sand colour over the surface to highlight any raised areas if you wish. I decided not to do this, as I was happy with the overall effect as it stood.

The mountain can be used as a single large feature, or the two pieces can be separated and positioned along the edge of the tabletop.

The two halves of the mountain.

The mountain was looking a little barren, so I decided some vegetation was needed. The simplest approach was to take some cocktail sticks, push them into the foam and hang pieces of lichen from them to represent vegetation.

Cocktail sticks are pushed into the foam at different angles.

Lichen is hung off the sticks.

A game in progress using the mountain along the table edge.

This is not the first time I have used upholstery foam for terrain. I have previously used it to make English Civil War fortifications and hills for my Sci-Fi games. As I still have some foam left over, I plan to make another two mountains.

One of the benefits of using foam for terrain features is it is light weight, pretty much unbreakable, and easy to store away (generally thrown on top of cupboards or shelving units).

26 comments:

  1. Like you, I have always enjoyed those battlefield paintings. Quite a distinctive style and your mountains give a good impression of those artworks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They were quick and easy to make, and now that the test one worked out ok, I will be making a couple more.

      Delete
  2. Very nice mountains. I once saw a small On30 narrow Old West model railway which had made the hills and mountians thesame way. very effect full and I guess very light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very light and they do not break or have bits chipped off.

      Delete
  3. A great result Peter and they look great with your 2.5D Samurai castle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice piece of modelling, looks great on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have just finished another two mountains, or mountainous looking hills.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It is always good when you can keep it simple and quick.

      Delete
  6. Very effective work there Peter and nice that you can stick trees etc into it whereever you please:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be good to get some more trees and add a toothpick so I can add them to the mountains.

      Delete
  7. Light and unbreakable is at the heart of it. My first hill as a teenage wargamer was to sew decreasing sized circles of upholstery foam together. I always admire your crafting exploits from conception to article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I always remember the foam hills shown in "Practical Wargaming" by C. Wesencraft.

      Delete
  8. It's always a good feeling when simple, cheap, home-made terrain ideas work out well Peter - and your mountains certainly meet that criteria - so congratulations!
    Where do you buy that foam and approx how much does it cost? (asking for a friend!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the foam from Spotlight when they have one of their 30 percent off sales. I will get 4 mountains from the foam.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Nice. Another reference I had to look up :-)

      Delete
  10. Nice work Peter. I went for cardboard:

    https://aufklarungsabteilung.blogspot.com/2022/04/making-mountains.html

    https://aufklarungsabteilung.blogspot.com/2022/05/mountains-of-madness-apologies-to-hp.html

    They are still not painted!

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good job recycling to scratch build your mountains.

      Delete
  11. Cracking job on those mountains, Peter! and you can't beat lightweight, chip-proof terrain.

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Being chip-proof helps greatly with the storage.

      Delete
  12. Stylish and practical. I love the fact you can transform them with a free cocktail sticks and lichen. Ideal way to create a Lobosch type hill/extinct volcano for Bohemian borderlands.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking about shaping the off-cuts into trees and popping them on to the sticks.

      Delete
  13. They look great and really look the part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am looking forward to getting them into a few games.

      Delete