Saturday 9 September 2017

Making some jungle terrain

While I have yet to get on with painting my WW2 Burma armies for use with the Crossfire ruleset. I will begin that process once a couple of Japanese tanks which are currently in the post arrive. With that in mind I decided I had better start getting some jungle like terrain sorted out.

This weekend I purchased some plastic plants from a local craft and material store. The cost was about the $30 mark and should I hope make approximately 12-15 clumps of trees and vegetation. The plants can be both pulled apart, shaped and cut quite easily.

To begin with I though I would make three clumps of trees to test out the approach. The one really useful tool required for this is a hot glue gun used to glue and hold the plastic firmly and quickly once applied.

Here are my first test attempts...

1) The purchase

This plant will be used to make the trees and provide height to the terrain piece
This plant will provide the undergrowth as each piece pulls off 
A piece removed
2) The bases
MDF bases were roughly cut out into 3 inch diameter circles and painted

3) The most important tool

A hot glue gun is required to fix the plastic plant bits and dry quickly
4) The gluing
A small hole was drilled in the base and the central stem stuck in it and hot glue used to hold it into position
Then the undergrowth is then added to fill up the stand
5) the completed item

A completed terrain piece
The three pieces on the table
Another view at eye level

 I am happy with the test terrain pieces and aim to build some more over the next week or two.


10 comments:

  1. They are really effective, good job!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The hot glue gun made them so easy to make.

      Delete
  2. Always love the way you start your crafting projects with a clear vision of how they should look in the end. Looking at how they scale with your 1/72 stuff, the 'presence' on the table must look super.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. With my WW2 models and terrain I always have in mind the pictures from Battle - Practical Wargaming by Charles Grant. Although they were all in black and white, I am still mesmerised by them even now.

      Delete
  3. What is the stuff you bought called? I've searched for suitable material at my local craft store several times, but what I've seen has leaves and/or berries that are too large. I haven't even asked for assistance from a clerk, as I don't know what it is I should ask for.

    Thanks,

    Chris Johnson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,
      I am based in Australia so you may not get the same products where you are. Anyway, I found what I have used on their website (Spotlight is the shop). https://www.spotlightstores.com/craft-hobbies/other-crafts/floristry/c/floristry?q=%3Arelevance&page=8&pageSize=20
      I am using Grass Garland with White Flowers and Moss Bush. Both are part of their florist range.
      Good luck with your search for something comparable.
      Peter

      Delete
  4. War gamers' Ikebana - just the thing. They are very nice pieces of jungle, and could probably pass muster in non-tropical settings equally well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, they could be added to mix up the look and reduce the uniformity of terrain which can occur on the tabletop.

      Delete