Sunday 29 August 2021

Some more samurai figures painted

Here are a few photographs of progress on my samurai project. I have started painting the second clan, for which I am using a combination of browns and reds for their uniform. The clans I am painting are imaginary ones and are being painted either with blues and greys or with red and browns. They have been named (using Google Translate):

  • Aoi nuno - Blue cloth clan
  • Akai nuno - Red cloth clan

All figures in the picture are from the Minifigs samurai ranges. The front rows of ashiguru pikemen and bowman are from the S range, which were purchased secondhand about 12 plus months ago.The samurai in the second are I believe a later range which are a lot more chunkier. I purchased the samurai back in the late 1970’s.

I'm just doing the block painting of these figures and keeping detail to a minimum as I am going for a glossy toy soldier look, and the simple style of figure seems to suit this approach.





10 comments:

  1. Those look very nice Peter:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I seem to be getting back to painting regularly.

      Delete
  2. Or alternatively the Tenkoku and Ryuketsu clans?
    Are these lined up for a photo shoot or do the units fight in line in your rules - BTW what rules do you intend to use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips on the two clans. The troops were just lined up for a photo. I have yet to work out the rules, but have begun a list of things I want to see in the games.

      Delete
  3. You continue making good progress on your Samurai project. Fascinating period of warfare Minifigs look great. Glossy works well for this period since the armor was typically lacquered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is a fascinating period. I have been re-reading some of my old books and making notes of what I want in see in what ever ruleset I go with.

      Delete
  4. Lovely eye catching banners. Top stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the banners are fun to paint as well.

      Delete
  5. About 10 years ago I bought a pile of 28mm+ Samurai at a convention bring-and-buy (flea market, as we call it here); when I got them home and closely inspected my latest "find", the huge amount of detail on each figure caused me to (again) wonder if I should be checked for some kind of brain disease after all. So onto the mountain of shame they went. Your approach has led me to reconsider--not to worry about picking out all of the details; instead paint them as toys (let's face it, that's what they really are) with glossy paint. In other words, get them on the table and have fun with them. So, thanks for the inspiration!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, Good luck with your painting. I am finding simple painting works well for my larger wargaming armies and getting them (the toys) on to the tabletop to enjoy. I now keep my detailed painting with washes and dry brushing to skirmish games. Cheers, Peter

      Delete