Monday 29 May 2023

An Ancient Mini Campaign - Part 3

This is part 3 of an Ancient campaign covering the invasion of Luminaria by Carthaginian forces and covers the first battle of the campaign. Luminaria is a hypothetical client state of Rome. 

Note - To help speed up my posts I am using the free online AI tool ChatGPT to help create the battle narratives from my brief descriptions. The process is I quickly write up my notes, copy them into ChatGPT asking it to reword as a narrative. I then get back a narrative which I do need to modify, but does provide a good framework which speeds up the writing. See what you think…

After a delay for reconnaissance the Carthaginian forces advance.

See the previous post for the setup of this game and the orders of battle.

Battle Narrative

Commander Marcus, leading the Roman forces, made a tactical decision to divide his heavy infantry, stationing them between the defense of Mariposa and the adjacent hill that provided a commanding view of the city. Positioned between the two, the light infantry stood ready to advance through the fields and orchards.

Hanno the Carthaginian commander, after a brief pause for reconnaissance, observed the advance of his forces. The primary assault would be led by the heavy infantry against the city, while the Gaul war-bands were tasked with clearing the challenging terrain of the fields and orchards.

The attack by Gauls in the centre is well underway as the Carthaginian heavy infantry slowly advance, coming under fire from catapults in the city. 

The assault on Mariposa is well underway.

The Roman light infantry fiercely defended their central position, delaying the advancing Gauls, while the defenders of Mariposa soon found themselves under intense pressure, prompting Marcus to deploy supporting troops to counter the relentless assaults on the city.

The Gauls are finally making good headway in the fields and orchards, pushing back the Roman light infantry.

Supporting troops arrive in an attempt to divert the attentions of the attackers.

Despite their valiant efforts, the Roman light infantry eventually succumbed to the relentless onslaught of the Gauls. The fields and orchards were cleared, and the victorious Gauls regrouped, then joined the assault on Mariposa.

With darkness descending upon the battlefield, the Roman forces managed to hold onto Mariposa by a narrowest of margins. Marcus had executed a commendable defense, successfully delaying the invaders. However, with additional Carthaginian reinforcements en route, he made the wise decision to withdraw his forces and regroup.

The fields and orchards are cleared.

The assault on Mariposa almost succeeds only to be thwarted on the final turn.

The next post will return to the campaign map.

The next campaign turn to be played.



14 comments:

  1. This is a pretty good battle narrative created by AI. I am very interested in seeing exactly what inputs you feed into this bot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will see if I can show an example in the next battle report.

      Delete
  2. I'm enjoying this campaign and the AI narrative seemed OK to me. As oyu said above, I'd love to see your input info vs the output from Chat GPT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will make a note to keep my input and not overwrite it with the updates.

      Delete
  3. Agreed, the narrative sounds pretty good…and the battle seems to have gone to the wire, which is my idea of a great game 🙂⚔️⚔️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The battle definitely did end up being very exciting. It was played using OHW and event cards slightly modified to my tastes.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyable game and write up Peter. I would echo Jonathan's request. Plus, from your comments about the write up process, did you save much time after you had been through your steps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do a write up on the input and output, and yes it does save me time as I find the writing of battle reports quite a slow process as I am far from being a natural writer.

      Delete
  5. A great first battle in your campaign Peter. The ChatGTP report is pretty good and I remember you saying previously that writing up reports is something you find quite a struggle, so this is probably a great solution. ChatGPT is very topical at the moment and we have recently had a guide on where and when it's appropriate to use it at work issued to us. I have not used it at all but some colleagues have and we recently received a rather amusing complaint email that everyone was sure, had been written by Chat GPT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly saved me some time as it takes my notes, a series of bullet points, and gives back a block of text I can read through and modify, as it does use an odd turn of phrase on occasion.

      Delete
  6. Certainly couldn't spot the join between the artificial and real intelligence in the narrative.
    Nice to see a strong position being assaulted. What did you do about attacking/defending towns - in your rules they're just broken ground, was it just that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rules had troops in the town halving shooting and melee hits, and the farmland and orchards halved hits for light infantry and war-bands.

      Delete
    2. Ok. Might of lost the previous comment as my thumb slipped. Too bad as it was going to be great.
      Anyway I love the idea of the campaign map with a board game crossover. 😀

      Delete
    3. Alas you great comment has disappeared, but I am glad you like the campaign idea.

      Delete