Thursday 30 May 2024

Rommel’s command and making a wadi

After several weeks of focussing on the English Civil War period and play testing a draft set of rules, I decided it was time for something different. I do have a half-written ECW game report that I'll post soon, but the change was sparked by the arrival of a parcel from Steven of Sound Officers Call! The contents of which was Rommel’s command set in 6mm. 

Rommel’s command - a recent arrival in the post

The story behind this package goes back to when I was reading Steven’s posts about his preparations for wargaming the Battle of Kasserine Pass. He was facing the same challenge I had encountered with making palm trees, which are very tricky to make, particularly for the smaller miniature scales. In my case I had eventually decided to purchase a couple of bags of palm trees suitable for both 20mm and 6mm scales. I eventually ended up with a surplus of 6mm trees, so instead of letting them gather dust on a shelf, I posted them to Steven.

Knowing that I also game in the WWII North African theatre, Steven emailed me to let me know a surprise package was on its way. Well what a surprise! A very nicely painted and based command set which will be incorporated into by WWII Western Desert armies and be on the gaming table very soon.

A closer view of the detail. The models I believe are Baccus.

So a big thank you to Steven for the gift which will be incorporated into by WW2 Western Desert forces. The reciprocity in the wargaming community is a wonderful thing.

Sticking with the WWII North African theme and the ongoing need for terrain, one terrain feature I was missing on my tabletop was how to represent wadis and depressions. So, this past weekend, I attempted to make some using foam fill. Previously, I had made hills and sand dunes using the same foam fill material (see here). To create the wadis, I cut the foam fill into long, wiggly lines, shaped them just using pair of scissors, applied watered-down paint, and then dry brushed some highlight colours to finish them off. 

British armour are hidden in the wadi ready for a surprise attack.

Foam fill from the local craft shop was used to make the wadi.

To add a bit more to the wadi I used some railway brown course stone scenery as boulders.

Railway scenic 

A closer view of the wadi.

14 comments:

  1. Great gift from Steve and nice Wadi Work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful surprise and will get me playing a few WW2 games.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely gift to receive, the wargaming community is indeed a wonderful thing, so many really nice people out there. Very nice work on the wadi, it looks really good and works very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was a wonderful gift. Really pleased on how the wadi turned out.

      Delete
  3. What a nice surprise gift and yet again shows the wonderful wargaming community spirit. Great work on the wadi's too:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, wonderful community spirit.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the kind shout out, Peter, and I'm glad you like the command stands. Can't wait to see your desert stuff in action!

    The wadis are first class! I always have a problem modeling wadis, so this is another idea I'm stealing from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The models have already been used in a game, but I will be playing more and taking photos.

      Delete
  5. very nice wadi's Peter.
    Well done by Steve for an unexpected gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A welcome gift and great looking wadi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely gift from Steve and the wadi idea works well too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was a nice gift. The foam fill is proving to be quite useful and versatile for making terrain.

      Delete