Saturday 15 June 2024

A semi-flat samurai castle

I have not done much painting recently, so in an attempt to get back into the swing of things, I decided to create and paint a semi-flat castle for my samurai armies. I thought having a castle in the distance would be useful for the narrative of my samurai games as I test out some rule changes. It seems many battles during the Sengoku period were fought near or around castles, either to relieve the defenders or to besiege them.

The recently finished castle positioned on a tabletop edge.

About a month ago, I created something similar when I made a semi-flat town for my English Civil War games. The steps for making the town can be found here. I use foam board to create the layers and gesso paste to create texture and additional detail.

I position these semi-flat models on a tabletop edge to represent where reserve units arrive or as the reason for whatever scenario is being played. I find it easier to make these semi-flat models than draw and paint a flat model.

The castle was made from three layers of foam board which are covered in gesso-paste used to create texture. 

Units positioned in their defences around the castle.

Here are a few photographs of a game in progress, showing the blue army arriving on the flank of the red army, hoping to relieve a siege. The castle can be seen in the background.

The blue army is attempting to relieve the castle garrison.

Red army reacts to the relieving force arriving on their flank.

Next week, I plan to post more about the draft rules I'm currently using which I mentioned in my last post. Writing up my notes as rules, even in draft form, always seems to take longer than I expect.

20 comments:

  1. That is a really impressive bit of scenery, really looks good in situ, it works so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope It will be a well used piece of scenery.

      Delete
  2. Another very clever and lovely piece of work!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was a fun model to make and has got me back into the swing of painting.

      Delete
  3. That castle works a treat, of course as you made your own scenic backdrops they are perfect match style-wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The consistency in style does help. Although in the past I have forgotten how I went about painting certain models.

      Delete
  4. It looks awesome, especially with the very Japanese inspired backdrop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the themed backdrop does certainly help set the scene for the castle and game. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I am very impressed by your semi-flat (or as I call them '2.5D') buildings. They certainly look as if they should have a larger footprint on the tabletop, but take up remarkably little room ... rather like the mountains that used to be featured on Major General Tremorden Rederring's Colonial Wargames Page.

    Good luck with writing up your rules. You are right about it always being a longer job than you expect. That is certainly my experience.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The semi-flat, 2.5D, model do help keep move tabletop available for manoeuvring the units. I suspect I will be making more of them in the future. Thank.

      Delete
  6. The castle looks very cool Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it adds a bit of interest to the tabletop.

      Delete
  7. Your castle looks very nice, I am planning on doing something similar once I get round to having my own board available.
    Railway modellers use a similar technique for backdrop buildings. If I may suggest an addition would be to add some small trees/bushes to the base to disguise the join a little and to force a little more distance/perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck getting your board set up and available, and thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks. It will be a useful terrain addition, and does not take up much space.

      Delete
  9. Another winner here, castle looks excellent!
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan. I am wondering about making a couple of tents along the same lines which can be attached to the tabletop’s edge. The ones I have are take up a fair bit of space.

      Delete
  10. Great work Peter! I've seen this done very effectively in a railway modelling show we had on the tv here in the UK a few years ago. Another idea to try out amongst many for my games table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Railway modellers have lots of useful ideas.

      Delete