Sunday, 11 October 2026

Making a dice tower as a present

It was recently my daughter’s birthday, and as she started playing Dungeons & Dragons earlier this year. I thought it would be a good opportunity to make her something a little different for her present. I decided to build her a dice tower and paint up a Halfling miniature to represent her D&D character.

The completed dice tower. The blue spider is attached to the lid which can be removed.

The drawbridge is hinged to drop down.

After looking online for some ideas, I settled on a straightforward castle tower design, complete with a working drawbridge to catch the dice as they tumble through. I was going to use a combination of MDF and cardboard to make the tower.

The tower in use. The drawbridge has sides to keep the dice from escaping across the table.

The sloping shelves inside the tower, which break the dice’s fall as they travel through, were made from some leftover upholstery foam I had from a previous project. I cut the foam into triangles, covered them with grey felt, and glued them into position. The reason for this approach was that my daughter did not want a noisy dice tower. I also covered the inside surface of the drawbridge with felt to help minimise any noise.

A closeup of the painted halfling.

Before gluing the foam shelves in place, I decorated the tower with various bits and pieces from my bits box to give it a little more character and colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment