Sunday 11 March 2018

Preparing for a siege - building a star fort part 1

The current French Indian War campaign relay with Jonathan of Palouse Wargaming Journal (for campaign background and concept click HERE) may well include a siege game at some point. With that in mind this weekend I decided it was time to get started on building a star fort, well half a star fort, which will be positioned on the edge of the tabletop.

Given my units are all based on 4x3 inch bases and played on a 6 inch square grid, I had to give some though as to how my units will be position in any fort I build. During the week I had sketched out a fort plan and given some thought as to how to build it.

So here is part 1 of my star fort...

MDF sheet cut out to act as the terrain feature base.
Using the MDF as a template multi-use foam board is cut out. In the case of the main fort a centre 6 inch square removed. 
The foam board is stuck using PVA glue to the MDF base.
Once the base MDF and foam board were firmly attached. Half inch triangular wooden dowel was cut out and attached to the top to act as parapets. I don't need to be too precise with my cutting the joins as later in the build process it all gets covered.
Two guerites were added as an after thought. These sentry boxes add to the look of the fort. A gateway entrance has been cut out in the foam board. This photo shows how my based units will fit into the fort once completed.

The next step is to cover the fort in tissue paper and PVA glue (I tend to use kitchen paper towel for this). Then small details are added.
So that is part 1 of the star fort build. My guide during this process and for creating some supporting war-game rules is the book "Fire and Stone - The Science of Fortress Warfare 1660-1860" by Christopher Duffy. There is even a siege war-game in Appendix 3!

Lots of rereading of chapters going on
While I was out in the garden waiting for the PVA glue to dry. I started on the making of a battle mat which will eventually have a hex grid drawn on it. My starting point was some light green curtain material, too light for my liking, but provided a good base for adding some mid green and brown tones.

Watered down mid green paint (5 parts water to 1 part paint) randomly brushed over. This was repeated with the same mix, but with a touch of brown acrylic paint added.
The battle map on the tabletop 
There is sufficient overhang on my 6x4 foot tabletop to allow my existing hills to be used under the mat. Their outline is still clearly visible, useful to know when a unit is on the hill or moving up a slope.
I may will add some more paint in the future. I am just getting used to this which is a bit duller in colour to my Games Workshop purchased mat which I generally use.

Once I am happy with the dappled colour I will mark out a hex grid.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. Once completed I will have to get around to the parallels and sap trenches, which fortunately will not be anywhere near as complicated.

      Delete
  2. Peter,
    Great work there on your Star Fort - very clever use of materials and the arrangement design to suit your figures - guess your chaffing at the bit to see the finished Fort. It will be great! Also well done on your Terrain Cloth - very nice...I would like to do similar with a paint wash on my old green blanket. Great work. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KEV. Yes, I will be happy when the fort is completed. I was hoping for another hot day this weekend so the paper towel I cover it with dries quickly. But not to be. I will just have to be patient.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy seeing your building projects as they are so well planned and executed, your star fort being no exception. Those the nicely mitred joints on the parapets, expose you as being a 'master' crafter :-)

    re the gaming cloth, I like the subtle muted colours, good result. If you fancy going back in, a brush might lose some of the effects gained and perhaps a sponge to dab or roll might offer a more gentle method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip on sponging the gaming cloth. I will be giving it a try.
      The fort is now drying out after being covered with paper towel soaked in watered down PVA glue.

      Delete
  4. Great work! Precise angles are essential for star fortresses, ( which is one reason I don't have one). The multi-use foam board looks interesting, I've never heard of it before. When I collaborated with some friends on a wargame fortress it was cut from rigid insulation (not by me). I'll have to check this multi-use foam out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The multi-use foam is used for various jobs around the house (including insulation) and I get it from my local hardware store. It has the look of the hard foam board people use in models. The product is called Knauf Insulation - Multi-Use Foam Board. See Knaufinsulation.com.au and it might give you an idea of what to look for around your way. I also use it for my hills as it comes in different widths.

      Delete
  5. Always a pleasure to visit your blog. Beautiful fort and very helpful tutorial. I have an interest in India 1770-1810 15mm, so need to build some forts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and good luck wth your Indian forts.

      Delete