Thursday 20 August 2020

Sci-Fi terrain project is slowly taking shape

I have been slowing working away at some smaller scatter terrain pieces for my sci-fi terrain project. Adding the all the scatter terrain that came with the Necromunda boxed set and added a few extra pieces made up from leftover pieces saved in my bits-box.

Build blocks with various scatter terrain added.

My aim with all this wooden block terrain (see previous posts) is to try and create a multi-level tabletop similar to the original Necromunda set without spending much.

The inspiration for the multi level building blocks

On my to do list of remaining items are the following:

  • A few more low walls (you can never have enough cover)
  • A large cargo crane (from wood off-cuts)
  • A large storage tank (from a large coffee tin)
  • Pavements on which to sit the buildings. 

By pavements, I mean grey sheets of MDF board to cover up more of the tabletop which has a tad too much green for an urban setting. Well, for my liking anyway. I will take the opportunity to add some black and yellow hazard lines to introduce more colour to terrain.

Scatter terrain in the top levels

Scatter terrain at ground level

Tin cans and round wooden dowel for pipelines


The terrain covers a 4x4 foot tabletop

Low wall pieces are added to the tops of buildings and walkways (just need a few more)

If you are wondering which rules I will be using? It's the "One-Hour Skirmish Wargames" by John Lambshead. I have used them previously with a few additional character and weapon rules to reflect the Necromunda setting, and find the rules play fast, are easily remembered, and fun to play. They use playing cards rather than dice which I quite like.

Once I have completed the terrain and possibly a few more figures. A campaign will be setup using the snakes and ladders approach (last used with a Jacobite campaign - see here) which seems most appropriate as the gangs will work their way up the city hive to find riches.

12 comments:

  1. Great work Peter. I agree about the grey base - it would look more urban. I'm keen to see what you make of the OHSW rules as I have them and still haven't tried them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have played the OHSW a few times as individual games and had great fun, it will be interesting how I enjoy them in a campaign setting.

      Delete
  2. I like your Buildings Peter- they've turned out well. About thirty years ago I built a 40K City using various plastic containers- it was simple enough to make though I used a lot of spray paint. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you KEV. I find there is increased pleasure is creating scratch built terrain, rather than purchased terrain.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I am hoping to complete the remaining terrain items this weekend. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Really great looking terrain and takes me back to me Mordheim days. I never got to try Necromunda but it always looked good fun. Interesting choice of rules and look forward to some AAR's in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not sure how the terrain building blocks would work. Overall, they have turned out better than I expected. There will be some AAR's when the mini-campaign starts. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Looks fantastic - and look forward to the action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am getting closer to finishing off the terrain.

      Delete
  6. I much prefer your terrain to the original. Still wouldn't want to buy a flat in one of the hab blocks though, the neighbourhood looks VERY rough :-)

    Regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris. There is definitely a dark and dingy look to the hab neighbourhood. I am sure the local Real Estate Agent said it was all about location, location, location...

      Delete