Saturday 29 August 2020

Hurray! A sunny day to build some more sci-fi terrain

Finally, some sunny weather arrived this weekend in Melbourne and has allowed me to complete some more sci-fi terrain. A couple of posts ago I had a photo of the terrain setup on my normal sci-fi tabletop. This highlighted the need for some paved areas to cover up any areas of green on the tabletop. I don't mind some green in an urban setting, but it was too much for my tastes.

I already had some roads which I always planned to use. So this weekend I made up 18 paved areas of different sizes, and also finished off a nice big blue storage tank made from a coffee container. 

Terrain setup

I created the paved areas, as I have with most of the terrain, using photos of my existing terrain or screenshots of Warhammer 40K products and reworking them on Google Slides. Before printing and sticking them to the board I am using (see here for more detail on the process).

After painting the board grey and adding the printed feature. A black wash is applied.

A chalk pastel is used to add some colour.

The chalk pastel is rubbed over to even out the colour.

A bit of blue pastel was also added, I am trying to get different tones of grey in the terrain. I will often add a rust colour on the corners and on some paved areas yellow and black hazard markings were added.

Paved areas with hazard markings.

A view of the recently completed blue storage tank.

What is next? I still have to make a crane and I also want to add some chimneys. My fingers are crossed for another sunny day tomorrow. I had hoped to get a start on the chimneys today, but the garden was in desperate need of weeding.

6 comments:

  1. Your sci-fi terrain is really taking shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly getting there and I will soon have to think about the next project.

      Delete
  2. Looks great Peter! Enjoy the fine weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is good to get out in the fine weather which also allows things to dry fast.

      Delete
  3. Well I must say that this all looks rather lovely and has a great homogenous feel to it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. A few more items and this project will be done and I will start a small campaign.

      Delete