Saturday 3 October 2020

Parcel arrives and WW2 Western Desert rules

This post was going to be focused on the WW2 Western Desert rules update and games, as I have two game reports still to be write up for the latest campaign turn. However, a parcel arrived during the week containing a few boxes of Ancient figures, and when you get new toys you have to post the news. Well, I think those are the rules. 

The parcel from Hannants arrived a lot quicker than I expected, a very swift service indeed.

Contents of the parcel

Carthaginian Soldiers box contents

These new arrivals, a few starter sets of plastic Carthaginians Soldiers and Roman Soldiers should help me field on the tabletop two armies approximately 200 figures apiece. The next steps for me are to determine how I want them based and painted. From a basing point of view most of my other armies have units with a 4 inch frontage and 3 inch depth. This size base fits nicely into a 6 inch square grid without crowding out any terrain features. My thinking right now is to stick with this size and go for units of between 15 to 20 figures depending on unit type. This hopefully will give the impression of a large block of troops.

This is the first time I have purchased HaT figures and they are well posed. I hope to be able to utilise most, if not all, of the figures. As for painting them, I am going to simply paint them with no washes or dry brushing, and complete them with a glossy finish. A test group will be on the painting table this weekend.


Returning to the WW2 Western Desert campaign which is taking up most of my available wargaming time. After a bit more work on the rules during the week, or more specifically the combat rules, I moved from the idea of opposing combat dice to a simple combat resolution table with the outcomes of:

  • No effect
  • Disordered
  • Eliminated

Previously the outcome had been no effect or eliminated. Having played a few small games with these rule changes, I have updated the rules (see here) and will continue with the campaign games. Below are the combat section changes:

=============================

COMBAT

To shoot at an enemy unit, a player must satisfy these conditions, they must:

  1. Be in their firing front arc unless turreted
  2. In range
  3. Have a line of sight (LOS) to the target
  4. The target has not been fired at already this turn

Any number of units can fire at the designated target, providing each unit satisfies these conditions and has not already fired this phase.

RANGE

To determine if an enemy unit is in range, count the hexes between them and add one for the target’s hex. If the total is equal to or less than the unit’s range value, it can fire.

LINE OF SIGHT (LOS)

To determine if there is line of sight to the target, trace a line from the centre of the firing unit’s hex to the centre of the target’s hex. If the line does not cross blocking terrain, there is a valid LOS. Blocking obstacles are any unit (friendly or enemy), Hill, Rough Ground and Town hexes.

Units on Hill hexes can see (and be seen) over units on clear-terrain hexes.

LOS down a hex spine: If the line travels exactly between two hexes, it is only blocked if there is blocking terrain on both sides.

A unit does not have line of sight when a target is more than 4 hexes away, or 5 hexes if on a hill or escarpment.

ARTILLRTY SUPPORT

An artillery unit does not require LOS to the target if at least one other firing unit has a valid LOS. Artillery must still be within range of the target.

Artillery support cannot be used against moving units, unless the artillery unit has a LOS to the target.

HQs can call in artillery strike even if they are not firing so long as they have LOS.

COMBAT RESOLUTION

Use the following procedure:

  1. The attacking player determines the attacking value by adding up the number of attacking units and subtracts the target’s defensive value. When adding attacking units unsuppressed units count as 1 and suppressed units as 0. Essentially this means suppressed units can attack on their own at a reduced effectiveness, but are ineffective in combined attacks.
  2. Roll the dice and consults the combat results table using the attacking value column.
  3. Apply the results. If the target unit is disordered place a marker with the unit (I use burning wrecks). If the attack is successful and the target unit is destroyed, remove the unit.
  4. Any attacking unit in an adjacent hex to the destroyed target has the option to move into the vacated hex at no AP cost.

Note:

  • Remember to use the second defence value if the target is in cover.
  • Add 1 to the attacker’s score if any of the attacking units occupy a hex flanking the target and are not artillery support.



Disordered Units and Reorganising

Disordered units can still attack as an individual unit, but are less effective counting as zero when adding up the attacking units. This represents a level of disorder in the unit due to casualties and stops them being effectively involved in coordinated attacks.

Units can recover and reorganise from disorder at a cost of 1AP, but a player cannot use either of their first two free APs in a turn to recover a unit. This means a unit can be reorganised with the 3rd or 4th AP. Representing the time to reorganise and participate in an attack. For example, a unit can be unsuppressed on the 3rd AP and involved in an attack on the 4th AP, but the chances of that happening are reduced.


=====================

I have two game reports to write up next, and play through a 3rd deciding game for the current campaign turn. The reports may be a tad brief as I have limited photos of the games, too wrapped up in the new rules to pause and take photos.



18 comments:

  1. Always a good day when a package of figures arrives in the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is, and the speed of arrival was a very nice surprise.

      Delete
  2. The new WW2 rules amendments look very good. I will be studying these with great interest and will be visiting your site (one of my favourites) to read the forthcoming AARs using the new version. Many thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased to hear you are enjoying the blog. The rules seem to be falling into a form and style I want.

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed your rules, I am not a huge fan of opposing dice combat in solitaire play as for me anyway, when tired, there is an awkwardness in getting to the result. Looking forward to progress reports on the 1/72 ancients project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I quite like opposing dice roll in some games, particularly skirmish games, and I agree they can feel awkward but I am not sure why?

      Delete
  4. A box full of new toys!! Always exciting. 1/72nd scale is blessed with loads of figures for "Ancients". I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with these Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ancients project has started already with some test painting.

      Delete
  5. This is frustrating - I am so tempted to top up my 1/200th Tunisian campaign forces to try out these rules but I already have too many projects on the go and must exercise some discipline. In the meantime I look forward to the upcoming battle reports - did they use the new rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your projects. I refought the games for the current campaign turn with the latest version of the rules.

      Delete
  6. Yes I believe that is Natural Law if not written. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks for the rules.
    I have similar plastic HAT ancients myself, and they are superb - and yes, I'm now a convert to the glossy finish for plastic ancients, Napoleonics and ACW ...not a convert yet for WWII but probably because I like that grubby look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am impressed by the HaT figures and am looking forward to painting them. Yes, I concur with your views on WW2 regarding not having them with a shinny finish.

      Delete
  8. About your your starting ancients:

    I have been enjoying your blog for many years

    I am interested in this period and have some PENDRAKEN 10MM figures for the same period.

    The boxes you have chosen do not include Numidian cavalry (from what you have shown), so you may have to buy the box of Numidian cavalry.

    From http://balagan.info he talks about Big Base DBA, he also reflected a problem I have with DBA family:- DBA... describe Spanish Infantry of the period as Auxiliary, but at the battle of Cannae they fought as front line, and survived. In DBA: blades destroy auxiliary most of the time, so Cannae can not be fought properly under these rules.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,
      Glad you are enjoying the blog and thanks for the tip on Numidian cavalry. I fully expect there will be another order going into Hannants in a few weeks time once I have worked out my unit sizes.
      I do remember seeing the big base DBA post and shall be looking at it again in my journey into Ancient wargaming.
      Peter

      Delete
  9. A nice haul of figures for the Punic Warts, Peter. Block painting them (perhaps followed by a simple black or dark brown "magic wash") should work fine on these figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. For the test group I just block painted them. 20mm seems quite small nowadays, or my eyes are getting old.

      Delete