Saturday 27 March 2021

Ancients project game mat

The Ancients project painting has slowed down in the last couple weeks. This delay was partly due to the recent WW2 floor wargame, which was time consuming, and some Napoleonic wargames to test out a few rule changes. This week I managed to get the project progressing again with a couple of units getting painted and this weekend I created a game mat.

Some of the distractions delaying the Ancients project.

Over the last couple of years I have created a few game mats using material and paint. This mat is for an arid looking tabletop and to keep costs down I used a canvas drop sheet purchased from the local hardware store. This needed a good iron and trim before starting to paint it.

Canvas drop sheet. An old fashioned heavy one without plastic backing

The drop sheet needed ironing before starting...

... and needed trimming.

All ready to start.

In the first step I sponged a sandy brown wash all over the sheet. While it was still wet I sponged a lighter sand colour all over, this helps to soften the sponged colour. I did this a couple of times with increasingly lighter sand colours until the right balance was achieved.

The first sandy brown wash is applied.

The picture shows the lighter colour sand sponging.

As I wanted an arid look rather than a full sandy desert look. I applied areas of a green wash, then later over sponged very carefully with a mid-green colour. Throughout the whole process of adding colour gradually I kept checking with a based and painted unit.

Areas of green were applied to make the overall look arid rather than just desert.

The completed mat on the tabletop.

A closer look at the mat

With a completed mat on the tabletop it was time to get the two armies out and on the tabletop. With any luck I may be able to have a game.

Armies out of their boxes and deployed on the tabletop

All the figures are HAT plastic 1/72 scale miniatures.

A view from the Carthaginian side.


20 comments:

  1. Fantastic idea - great work, very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks very good Peter. I’ve noticed other battle mats if yours look like they’re made from the same material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used a number of materials. These include curtain and upholstery cloth. These both have quite a bit of weight to them so they sit on the tabletop nicely and cover hills.

      Delete
  3. Peter, the game mat has a highly effective look, exactly right for the subject and good to see the ancients project in the final stages. That is a goodly amount of work for the two armies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was please how the mat turned out, and good to get the armies out which I have been chipping away at the remaining figures.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, and a worthwhile Saturday afternoon endeavour.

      Delete
  5. That's very effective and agreat way to make a mat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is reasonably straightforward to do, the trick is in getting the colours right for sponging on.

      Delete
  6. A very effective result. My desert cloth is getting rather worse for wear so I'll look into this method. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This is my fourth mat using material with over sponging with paint. My technique is getting better with less reworking required.

      Delete
  7. That's a really effective look and you armies look great lined up on it - but please get 'up-light' in your photo shoots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to get the armies out. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. Really well done! Will you this mat for the battles in Italy as well as Spain? Or are you focussing on that one last battle at Zama?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mat is more for for Africa, but I am considering at adding a few more shades of green to provide a bit more flexibility for the setting.

      Delete
  9. I'm a big fan of painted cloths, and yours looks fine. It always seems to take me a lot more paint than I think, and watering it down seems to help too.

    Regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, watering down certainly makes the paint go further. The canvas drop sheet is a nice neutral colour takes the colours well. Regards, Peter

      Delete