Saturday 13 March 2021

WW2 wargaming on the floor

This weekend my wife is away and when this happens there is always the opportunity to undertake some floor wargaming. Last time the floor wargame was of a D-Day style landing using "A Landing in Force" from "War Game Campaigns" by Donald Featherstone as inspiration (here). This weekend I have decided upon a D-Day style again using a scenario from "Operation Warboard" by Gavin Lyall. I have done by best to recreate the map from the book, but it has ended up being slightly elongated.

Map using Operation Warboard as a guide

The book from the book was based upon a map of King beach in the Normandy Gold landing area.


Source of inspiration for the game. My rather battered copy of Operation Warboard with one of the more interesting book covers. 

Having sketched out a map the floor was cleared and various wargaming cloths used to set up the game. The playable area ended up being 6 foot by 12 foot. Pretty much all my wargaming scenery was consumed laying out the terrain. I did avoid putting down any fiddly terrain and lichen as I will be stepping all over the gaming area carefully watching where I place my feet.

The playing area all set up with terrain and defending units

The defending German order of battle:
  • Tank company (2 x Panther tank units and 2 x Panzer IV tank units)
  • 3 Infantry companies (3 x infantry units and 1 x mortar/howitzer gun)
  • 1 Mortorised company (3 x Motorised units and 1 x Stug III)
  • 1 Armoured Car company (2 armoured car units)
  • 2 x AT guns (75mm and 88mm)
  • 2 x Artillery (105mm)
German defending forces

The Armoured Car and Tank companies are in held in reserve and will arrive on turn 5.

The Allied order of battle is:

Wave 1
  • 1 infantry company (3 x infantry units and 1 x mortar unit)
  • 1 tank company (1 x Cromwell tank and 2 x Churchill tank units)
  • Supporting units (1 x buffalo infantry units, 1 x DUKW infantry unit, 1 x recon unit)
Wave 2
  • 2 infantry companies (3 x infantry units and 1 x mortar unit)
  • Supporting units (1 x Sherman flail tank, 1 Churchill AVRE Fascine Carrier, 1 x recon unit)
Wave 3
  • 1 tank company (3 x Sherman units)
  • 1 artillery troop (2 x 25 pounder units)
  • 1 mechanised infantry company (4 x mechanised infantry units and 1 x 6 pounder AT gun)
  • 1 Air Support
Throughout the game there will be artillery support available from the ships.

Allied landing forces

The game begins with the first wave of Allied troops arriving. To represent the difficulty of landing units where you want them to land. The following rules are used:

  • Each unit will arrive at one of the 6 beach zone represented by a landing craft. A D6 dice is used to randomly decide which landing craft is used. 
  • In one turn only 2 units may deploy from a single landing craft. Those units unable to land because a landing area already has 2 units, must attempt again the following turn.
  • The following wave cannot begin its landing until all the previous wave has successfully landed.

Two tank "funnies" a Sherman Flail and hastily made Churchill AVRE Fascine Carrier with a cotton reel covered with masking tape. 

The German units are positioned on gaming area. Because most of the defending units are in prepared positions and I lack terrain to represent this I have used hedges to show units in prepared defence positions. They will be treated as being in cover.

The first line of defence on the beach has guns and pillboxes

Supporting the beach defences are an infantry company (their tent are just folded cardboard)

The second line of defence on one of the steep hills and centre crossroads

The second line of defence continues by the second of the steep hills

The third line of defence in the town

Reserve which will arrive on turn 5

The Allied plan is drawn up. It has three phases with three objectives:
  • To control the beach taking small collection of buildings (objective 1)
  • To push on to the centre crossroads and hold this position (objective 2)
  • Attack on the village (objective 3).
The Allied plan

The next couple of posts will be of the game and rules used...





30 comments:

  1. My heart says what a wonderful opportunity, while my mind weeps for your knees :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great fun doing a game like this and makes an event of the weekend. I am more worried about my back rather than knees at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Great looking floor wargaming battle Peter, lovely terrain and maps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It has been a while since I have drawn any maps.

      Delete
  3. This looks fun! I will be curious how your knees held up from crawling around on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun. I seem to be combining wargaming with exercise due to all the squats involved to move units. The knees are holding up.

      Delete
  4. That looks like fun but I can feel my back and knees aching from just thinking about it.
    At first sight it looks a tough ask for the Allies but I guess they have plentiful naval gunfire and air support?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have too many defenders for this game, but as you say naval gunfire will assist, certainly in the opening turns.

      Delete
  5. Excellent setup.
    Very much looking forward to the action.
    A tough nut to crack for the landing force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is not an easy ask, particularly taking the town and achieving the third objective.

      Delete
  6. OMG - Gavin Lyalls book was my first introduction to “proper “wargaming as a spotty 12 year old. You’re a braver man than me playing on the floor. Hope you don’t step on anything mate. Top stuff as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am taking great care in the placement of my big feet.

      Delete
  7. A great set up. Looking forward to the AAR.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant Peter but my knees would never cope with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good, and we will see how I feel at the end of the game.

      Delete
  9. Very nice Peter! I look forward to seeing how this played out etc:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is taking a while to play the game with lots of little rest breaks.

      Delete
  10. Once upon a time the absence of ‘grown ups’ was an opportunity for bacchanal goings on. Now we pull out the toy soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How things change, and wargaming creates less of a mess to tidy up afterwards.

      Delete
  11. Uh oh. There's no where to safely set up such an ambitious game inside, even if the world opens up so my wife can go off to a dog show for a weekend but..... there is room outside come summer! Oh dear......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention outside. As I was playing the game the thought of buying a canvas drop sheet and painting it green came to mind. This would be laid over the lawn and used for a game. The lawn being too uneven for these small scale figures to stand safely, even on their bases.

      Delete
  12. Brings a new meaning to the term walking the battlefield.

    I have never actually wargamed on a floor. It certainly allows for a lot of space and with careful fee placement you can go as large as the space available. Looking forward to the next post.

    he closest I ever got to a big WW2 games was in the 1980s where we pushed 3 table tennis tables together for a huge multiplayer game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very droll, I was tip toeing the battlefield and thankfully did not stand on any miniatures.

      Delete
  13. I’m laughing and simultaneously weeping at the knee comments! Having had my replacement postponed three times over the past 18 months, my first thought on reading this was ‘that would finish me off’! But what I wouldn’t give to have a go myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The knee comments certainly gave away the readerships age demographic, and no knees were injured in the playing of this game.

      Delete
  14. Looks great; it has been a long time indeed since I played a game on the floor, and there won't likely be any in the foreseeable future! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly enjoyed playing this game, quite a difference from the usual constraints of a 6x4 foot table. I kept telling myself the physical activity of constantly squatting down and standing up was doing me no end of good.

      Delete
  15. Looks fantastic, Peter, I can't wait!

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a most enjoyable game and it is always good to get a good portion of my WW2 miniatures out in a game. regards, Peter

      Delete