Sunday 13 June 2021

Planning the next painting project

Having finished painting all the units I need for my ancients games and soon to be started simple 2nd Punic War campaign. It is time to decide the next painting project. There are a three options which I can do that don't involve purchasing new figures, they are:

  1. Finish painting some old Seven Years War Spencer Smith plastic figures to add to my existing small SYW collection.
  2. Paint some Warhammer starter set figures to oppose an already painted Orc army for some Dragon Rampant style games.
  3. Paint some old Miniature Figures Samurai for 16th Century Japan. A combination of some old figures and secondhand figures purchased 18 months ago.
I am not sure why, but 16th Century Japan seems the most enticing. In all I have approximately 400 figures to paint. They are simple figures from Minifigs S range, I believe, but I am not sure. I have been doing a bit a reading and the following picture is the inspiration for undertaking this project.

The inspiration for the project

The picture is from the book "The Samurai - A Military History" by S.R. Turnbull.

Currently reading.

I pulled out the boxes containing the figures and completed a count of what is available to make up two armies. I am planning on having between 9 to 12 units per army.

Boxes of Samurai figures

As mentioned these are not detailed figures and size-wise they are smallish 25mm miniatures. I will be painting them is a glossy toy soldier look. I am still thinking about the best approach for basing them. Normally I base my units on 4" by 3" bases containing 9 to 12 figures. This time I plan to use 4" by 1.5" bases with 5 to 6 foot figures mounted on them. This way I can mix and match pikes with bows and arquebus to create mixed units or solely units of pikes or bows and arquebus. Mounted units will use 4" by 2" bases of 5 or 6 cavalry.

A couple of test figures painted

Trying out basing options

Given the simplicity of the painting approach I am hoping to get through all the units over a timeframe of 6 to 9 months.


13 comments:

  1. I like the thought of your Feudal Japan project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to starting the project. I seem to remember you having a collection of Samurai figures.

      Delete
  2. I have that book, it is beautiful, but have long since decided I will not do a samurai project. I also have a very good pbk copy of Samurai Warfare by the same author which you can have for the price of the p&p if you want (altough that won't be cheap to Aus'). It's the one at this link:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samurai-Warfare-Stephen-Turnbull/dp/1854094327
    While you're still experimenting with paint jobs, have you considered painting the flat armour surface parts a lighter colour and drawing a grid (the stiching/plates) on them with a 0.1mm ProfiPen? Matt paint (well dried) is easiest to draw on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob, Thank you very much for the kind offer and tip for painting the armour. I have sent an email. Regards, Peter

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great project, when faced with the choice of what to paint next my brains natural response is 'all of the above' leading to a pile of unfinished bits. I greatly admire your discipline!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have found if I use a simpler painting style I am able to keep at the one project and see it through.

      Delete
  4. Yes, the second Fantasy army would be the quickest to complete. The idea of a new period just seemed more appealing, and a few of those Samurai figures have now been sitting around for some 30 years waiting to be painted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That drawing is very evocative and I can see why feudal Japan is the main draw of the three. The simplicity of the sculpts and glossy old school look should make for a pleasing look to your units:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am looking forward to painting up the first unit.

      Delete
  6. I'll watch this with great interest, knowing precious little about the period.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many years ago I read quite a few books on the period, which I am now re-reading some of them to refresh my memory and making notes as I go.

      Delete
  7. A cool project for certain :-)

    Regards, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to starting it, just got to clear the painting table of some buildings.

      Delete