Saturday 19 June 2021

Finishing off some wooden block houses

Before starting the painting of Samurai units for my next project. I tidied up the painting table by completing some wooden block buildings. These houses had been sitting around for a month or two undercoated.

The houses are simply made from wood and a modelling paste used to texture the roofs. All other details are painted on.


4 houses were painted up during the past week.

The roofs are a modelling paste textured with a toothpick.

In all seven houses and one windmill have been made for my horse and musket games.

One thing I like about these models is they are robust with no fiddly bits to break off when stored.


16 comments:

  1. These make a handsome village. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I should have plenty of buildings now.

      Delete
  2. They're nice and, no matter how robust, deserve better than to be tumbled into a box like that!
    You'll have to start a whole new set of buildings / castles for your new Japanese project - made from paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to making one of the castles. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Very effective paint jobs once again:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I use a wash, or two, to give some variability to the block colours.

      Delete
  4. Cracking stuff mate, don’t know about a village…at this rate you’ll soon have a town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, no need to seek planning permission on a wargames tabletop.

      Delete
  5. They look excellent!

    Regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The houses are simply made of wood blocks...", you would not pick it, they are tops!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you kindly. It is always fascinating what a lick of paint can do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look great. I think I'm going to have to do a DIY job myself. I've been Tring to get hold of some of those simple wooden village toy blocks that I rememberas a kid. They came (usually at Christmas) in little red string bags. The ones you see nowadays for wooden train sets like Brio are all a bit modern looking and too flashy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the ones you mention. I have seen them in use on a couple fo wargaming blogs. They would be good for 10-15mm figures. Something like this perhaps: https://www.awholelotoflove.com.au/wooden-village-block-set-with-church-egmont/

      Delete