Wednesday 12 January 2022

Remote wargaming the Second Battle of Azukizawa, 1548

Last weekend I was fortunate enough to enjoy a remote samurai period game with Jon of Palouse Wargaming Journal. Jon suggested a samurai game which was perfect for me as I am getting closer to finishing the painting of my Samurai armies and I am begin thinking about rules to use. This was my second remote game with Jon who has an excellent setup with cameras on each side of the table and a mobile camera for close ups of the action as required.

A close up view of Jon's armies in action. I believe they are 10mm figures and look splendid with all their bright colours and banners.

The game took a bit over 3 hours which seem to go by in no time what so ever. We used Basic Impetus rules with one of two adjustments by Jon which included an Army Breakpoint Clock. An army's clock was reduced with unit losses and also unit retreats. There was an option of sacrificing leaders as a means to offset a reduction in the clock.

I was playing the Oda army which has just realised it has been ambushed by the Imagawa army.

A full briefing pack was supplied by Jon and having chosen the Oda army I formulated a plan which was to push forward in the centre while try and break through on my left flank. The right flank was to give ground and hold off any attacks as long as possible

The plan - what could possibly go wrong?

What actually happened was my centre fought a good fight and was pretty well matched. My cavalry did well, breaking through and created a few problems for Jon. However, my flank attack stalled in the woods and could provide no assistance to my centre, so I was increasingly on the back foot. The right flank put up a brief and valiant defence but was eventually swept away.

The game was most enjoyable and appeared pretty close for quite awhile. I always thought I was in with a chance. This optimism did reduce a tad with the poor showing on my left flank and once Jon's left flank got rolling the game was up (as they say).

This was the first time I have played Basic Impetus and they seemed straightforward enough, so I purchased a PDF copy.
Purchased after the game.

Anyway, another game is being scheduled for later in January where we will swap sides and refight the Battle again. Congratulations and many thanks to Jon for hosting this game.

10 comments:

  1. Excellent, Peter! The game was great fun. Glad you enjoyed the game. Looking forward to a rematch later in January.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The figures are 15mm. Perhaps the dice make them look smaller?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I get older they all look one scale smaller.

      Delete
  3. A great game and glad you enjoyed yourself and look forward to an account of the re-match soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blue and red armies - you must've felt at home!
    Was there much tweaking for period / regional flavour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was not a lot of rule changes from what I could tell. It was mainly adjusting for a hex grid and the army breakpoint clock. Yes, the red and blue armies where very familiar to my colour choices.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful report of what looks and sounds like a really beaut game. It's great to have the write-up from both you and Jonathan to get the perspective of player-organiser-umpire and player alone. More games with Jonathan to follow, I have no doubt?!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James, We are hoping to arrange to play the same game using the opposite army. Regards, Peter

      Delete