Wednesday 16 March 2022

WW1 Palestine Campaign - OHW Turkish Forces

The WW1 Palestine campaign project is progressing well. I have now painted sufficient Turkish units for the One-Hour Wargame (Machine Age) WW1 forces which can have a mix of units types up to:
  • 4 x Infantry units
  • 2 x Heavy Infantry units (infantry with machine gun support)
  • 2 x Artillery units
  • 2 x Cavalry units
A standard infantry unit consists of four bases and a machine gun base can be added to represent the heavy infantry type in the Machine Age rules. There are a nice range of WW1 plastic figures available so I have been able to use camels for one of the cavalry units.

Turkish forces completed so far.

Infantry with machine gun support.

Turkish cavalry unit.

Turkish Camel Corps unit on the march.

Another view of the camel unit deployed in a line.

Cavalry drawn up in line.

I am planning to paint some more Turkish units and am hoping to double the number and increase the unit sizes to six bases. For now though I will turn my attention to painting a similar mix of unit types representing Commonwealth forces. These will have a mix of ANZAC and Indian units which where involved in the campaign.

18 comments:

  1. They look great - this is on my list of campaigns I would like to do one day - I think that OHW might be the best way to start

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I find the OHW forces are a good and achievable starting point when building new armies. The Palestine campaign is quite fascinating with a variety of forces. Later on I hope to add armoured cars and trains into the mix.

      Delete
    2. The force lists and OBs for OHW seem perfectly achievable for most gamers. OHW games do not require huge table space. That is another plus for many.

      Delete
    3. They get me from the original idea to playing games quickly.

      Delete
  2. These look wonderful! Will you be using the OHW rules as written?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to use OHW rules as written to begin with, and may later on try a variation of NT's 19th Century rules for this campaign.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, I am glad I opted for simple block painting and gloss finish.

      Delete
  4. I shall be following with great interest. Tempted by Baccus 6mm, I look forward to seeing how the rules work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will certainly be a few more posts on this project as it progresses. I will be starting with OHW machine age rules.

      Delete
  5. Nicely done. If you're looking to add air power to the theatre a useful book is 'Wings over the Desert' by Desmond Seward. It's an account of his father's war service as an RFC pilot. As a warning, it does have a few passages which a modern person will find wince-inducing, but it's good background colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. As the project progresses I hope to add a couple of scratch built planes.

      Delete
  6. That's a great start Peter and nice to see enough units already for a game. This is a conflict that keeps tempting me, but have too many other projects in the pipeline already. I love the look of these figures and whilst not to everyone's taste, the gloss lacquer works for me:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I find the simple painting approach and gloss finish works for me with these plastic figures, and units get painted quickly.

      Delete
  7. Get there behind me Satan!

    As others have said, this is a very tempting theatre. Horse, foot and guns, machine guns, armoured cars, aeroplanes, regulars, Biblical associations, guerrilla warfare. What’s not to like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. As you said there are a variety of options. I plan to cover as many as possible.

      Delete
  8. That's a great looking small collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will over the coming months be hopefully either adding a few more units or increasing the size of units. Thanks.

      Delete