Wednesday 26 April 2023

A couple of useful items ground at a craft shop

As my wife was going to a craft store I tagged along as usual to have look to see if there were any items I could make use of on the tabletop. I found a couple of items, some wood craft sticks which I thought could make some useful markers and some grey felt which was not a flat colour, but mottled or speckled grey.

woodcraft sticks and felt from a trip to the craft shop.

In my English Civil War games I need to track which units are out of ammunition and also when they have been rallied. I figured the wood craft slicks, which are approximately 2.5 inches long, could be painted green and written on for markers. When completed they look reasonably discrete positioned behind the unit bases. They are much easier to pick up to move compared to cardboard markers.

The markers are added behind the units.

A couple of weekends ago I made some pavements out of MDF board which I painted (see here). This time I used the mottled grey felt which I just cut out the shapes. While I prefer the painted MDF board, the felt is a much easier option to make.

The grey mottled field cut out and positioned under the buildings.

Just before we were leaving to visit the kids in Wellington, New Zealand, some Hinchliffe ECW Models from Lancashire Games arrived in the post. I am adding a few more units and commanders to my collection.

Recent ECW arrivals


14 comments:

  1. Browsing a craft store or hardware story is often time well-spent. New figures? Excellent! Have fun in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, time well spent. I am hoping with these ECW figures to get back into the swing of painting figures.

      Delete
  2. I do like the Woodcraft sticks as markers, they'll look even less conspicuous behind a 40-man ECW unit - I can't help thinking about using both sides so you can flip the stick over to indicate something else or for multi turn effects.
    The felt may quick and better for uneven areas but I prefer your painted BUA areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The marker certainly can be marked on both sides. Particularly for games where unit effects are graded, eg recoiled, retired. I agree, the painted BUA do look better.

      Delete
  3. Peter, that is a very clever idea with the woodcraft sticks! I shall keep an eye out for them.
    The felt looks good and if not compared with the painted ones I am sure it would get no complaints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be using the woodcraft sticks for a lot of markers.

      Delete
  4. It's a poor wargamer who can't find something useful in a craft shop - or a two-dollar shop for that matter, Peter!
    Both your recent purchases are great, and I like the idea of the markers in particular, although felt looks like it could be useful too - roads would be another use for the colour/texture.
    Enjoy Wellington, I assume you are aware of its reputation for "indifferent" weather?! Won't really matter if you are catching up with family of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always interesting looking around in those shops for useful items and the prices are always reasonable. As for Wellington it has been mainly sunny so far.

      Delete
  5. Good finds Peter. Plus, accompanying the better half on such trips can often earn brownie points.
    Have a good stay down under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always good accumulating some brownie points.

      Delete
  6. What a great idea for markers! I'll look into those, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that the felt does not sell the look as much as the MDF but it does the trick well enough.
    The sticks I think would be vastly improved with some flock around the edges or something just to disguise the fact that it’s a stick. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I make my labelling neat, flock around the edges would certainly help disguise them.

      Delete