Friday, 31 July 2026

Some painting, terrain, and a second hand find

This week I managed to finish painting a unit of Highlanders for my Anglo-Zulu War project. These figures, other than the officer, are nicely converted old Airfix Napoleonic Highlanders and have had an interesting journey before finally reaching my painting table.

Converted Airfix Highlanders that were recently gifted and are now painted and based. The officer is from a HaT kit. I could not resist adding the bagpipes.

A view from the front.

The figures originally belonged to John of the "Wargame Hermit: Solo Wargaming" blog before being passed on to James of the "Solo Slow Wargaming" and "The Chauvinistic Blog" blogs. James had been unable to find a use for these, along with a selection of other Colonial miniatures, so very kindly passed them on to me. I wrote about this unexpected gift a couple of posts ago (here). They have now been repainted and based, and make a very useful addition to my growing British force.

A couple of weeks ago I placed a bid on what appeared to be some Peter Laing 15mm American War of Independence (AWI) figures judging by the photo. Fortunately, they turned out to be exactly that and some 60 figures. The Peter Laing range has been unavailable for many years and are difficult to find.

The Peter Laing AWI figures. Alas only one cavalry figure, I could do with another 4 to make a unit.

I originally bought my Peter Laing AWI collection back in 1978, although it remained unpainted until around 2015 when I returned to historical wargaming after reading "One-Hour Wargames" by Neil Thomas. These newly acquired figures will be a very useful addition to the collection and should allow me to add a few more units.

Finally, on to terrain, or more specifically - sci-fi terrain. I am always on the lookout for inexpensive items that can be repurposed for the tabletop, and during a visit to our local $2 shop I spotted some plastic flowers whose heads looked as though they might make some interesting alien plants.

Plastic flowers purchased for sci-fi terrain.

The flowers are removed from the stem and the connector at the bottom clipped off so the flower can sit flat on the tabletop.

Some nice colourful alien terrain.

For around $5 I decided they were worth a buy. Once home, I removed the flower heads from their stems and found that, with clipping off the base that attached them to the stems and a little bending, they sat nicely on the tabletop. I think they look best arranged in clusters of two or three adding some distinctive colours to the tabletop.



27 comments:

  1. The Highlanders are very smart Peter and their journey around the global is a great example of how the internet has linked wargamers on an international level

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very pleased to add the Highlanders to my collection. The internet has certainly helped me with connections.

      Delete
  2. Very nice Highlanders and great that they will fight on the table top once more. I like those Peter Laing AWI figures, never seen them before. Those flowers really make great alien fauna, well repurposed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Peter Laing 15 figures, they are well proportioned and clean wargaming miniatures without excessive detail. I always wish I had bought more back in the 1970s.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous Peter! It is so good to see these figures completed based and ready to go! It will be a joy to see them in a game or three once you get to that stage.
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few more units to paint before they get to the tabletop for a game.

      Delete
  4. Awesome stuff Peter.
    I wonder if this is the first time the Highlanders will reach the table for a battle? Maybe I should review some of my old stuff from the 70's 😂

    Same I guess for the AWI figures. I have some unpainted 1970's Minifigs 15mm Romans sitting in my lead pile, but with two Roman DBA armies already painted that is were they will probably stay.

    I try to avoid going into $2 shops now, who knows how much I will spend. The plants look awesome and are a great reason to go and look next time I pass one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to getting the Highlanders into a game once I have completed a few more units and wagons for the British forces.

      Delete
  5. Nice work on the AZW unit, and those sci-fi plants really look the part, Peter 👍.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always on the look out for useful terrain items and these turned out well.

      Delete
  6. Nice story about the highlanders journey and smart idea on the pladtic plants, can you find a use for the stems?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have travelled quite a bit from the USA to Australia, and finally to New Zealand.

      Delete
    2. I did keep the stems.

      Delete
  7. Hi Peter,

    Those converted Airfix Highlanders look grand—it’s wonderful to see them pass through the community and finally make it onto the table for the AZW project. A proper bit of wargaming ingenuity with those $2 shop alien plants, too!

    All the best,

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy, the Highlanders have been on quite a journey.

      Delete
  8. Great bit of recycling, I think with the recent announcement of Warlord Games Epic for Zulu, we will be hearing a lot of related battles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There probably will be quite a bit on the Anglo-Zulu war with Warlords release and hope full some good scenarios can be found.

      Delete
  9. Nice work on everything Peter - I too have used cheap plastic plants from $2 shops in this way.
    In a tenuous link, the very first 15mm figures I bought, around 1978 probably, were Peter Laing Zulu Wars Brits and Zulus! To be honest, they were a bit disappointing, even for that era - and unlike many, I don't have any nostalgia for the "crude" figures of yesteryear and don't have any 1/72 plastic stuff from my teenage years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too got rid of all my plastic figures from my youth, but kept for the most part my metal figures. For some reason I just like the look of these older figures, and the lack of moulded detail makes them easier to paint which is a bonus.

      Delete
  10. I do love those converted Airfix figures, which takes me back to those articles in their magazine, where they would invariably use ACW or WWI Germans as the basis for whatever period was being modelled:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember trying some of those conversations without too much success.

      Delete
  11. Great looking Highlanders Peter and a great find on the Peter Lang figures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never thought of that conversion Strelets do highlanders for Boer War. Do like the alien foliage too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I need more Highlanders in the future I will look out for the Strelets. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete