Friday 15 September 2023

A couple of bags of palm trees arrive

Today the post delivered a package containing two bags of model palm trees with a mixture of sizes I had ordered a few weeks ago. They were reasonably priced so I purchased two bags in the hope that I would get enough suitable sizes suitable for my 6mm and 1/72 scale models.

A selection of palm trees

There are a few games for which these palm trees will be useful:

  • WW1 Palestine games
  • Punic War for some settings
  • Burma for my crossfire games
  • WW2 Western Desert 6mm games.

A closer view with some 1/72 scale WW1 Turks. I will shorten the oversized trees.

The bags had quite a few smaller palm trees that will be suitable for 6mm Western Desert games.

This weekend I will be preparing quite a few MDF bases to base the trees. I may give the trees a wash of colour to tone down some of the more very vibrant green.

16 comments:

  1. Nice looking palms and very useful for a number of settings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, looking forward to getting them based and ready for the tabletop.

      Delete
  2. These look great Peter. A few years back, I did a large ish 20mm "War on Terror" collection and needed palm trees for Iraq etc but they were ridiculously expensive, so I found an article on the web on how to make them. However, subsequently, they have turned up on Alibaba for next to nothing - our mate Mrak (Blog 1866 and all That) got about 50 or maybe 100 for $10 or something like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like we went through the same process. I have made some myself, then saw these on eBay recently.

      Delete
  3. They don't look over-sized to me, palm trees can be very tall. I suggest you have a good look at imagery on the net before cutting them down to make sure you're content to cut as putting them back together again will be much harder to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peter- Some years ago I needed Palm Trees for my Vietnam Gaming in 1/72nd...I bought a swag of them through eBay from Hong Kong- they proved to be great quality at a very affordable price. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They do look good and a nice mix of sizes. I may have to check these out on ebay as they would be useful for some India and Burma games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will not need any painting just require basing with is a bonus.

      Delete
  6. One can never have enough trees, regardless of the climate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully with ordering two bags I will now have enough.

      Delete
  7. Ebay and Aliexpress are both great resources for these types of terrain. Plenty of options and very reasonable cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is surprising at the options available. I found these trees on eBay.

      Delete
  8. I got a similar assortment a few years back and have made some vert good use of them. Did a bit of dry brushing on the fronds and trunks, and that was about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dry brushing would certainly help as some of the greens are very vibrant and can do with toning down.

      Delete