Monday 13 November 2023

A couple of book purchases arrive

Not much to post about this week, but I did receive some secondhand books in the mail. I bought them because they were mentioned in One-Hour Wargames, and they focus on the tactics of the periods they cover. They were reasonably priced as secondhand books, always a bonus. I haven't had time to start reading them yet, just the usual quick flick through looking at the diagrams and pictures. I will hopefully be able to set aside some reading time over the Christmas holiday.

Two recently purchased secondhand books.

On the tabletop, I'm still using my plastic Napoleonic Spencer-Smith miniatures to play test games using the combat resolution table (CRT) that I mentioned in previous posts. I'm currently working on including rules to add generals and their command radius.

A test game underway

A close up of the miniatures simply painted with a gloss finish

Lost of smoke as the units engage.


18 comments:

  1. Peter,
    Too many books, too little time!
    I've seen the ancient title somewhere, but didn't know there was a medieval as well.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. With retirement looming I am hoping there will be more time in the future.

      Delete
  2. Peter, this is a pair of interesting books. I am interested in seeing your review especially in how these armies actually fought.

    Your Napoleonic explorations are producing very handsome looking games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both books share the same chapters: role of infantry, mounted warfare, command and control, siege techniques, and naval warfare. I am intrigued to find out more about biblical warfare after our last remote wargame.

      Delete
  3. They look good books to have and love the glossy Spencer Smith figures:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is always enjoyable to get these glossy figures out on the tabletop.

      Delete
  4. Your table and figures are impressive as always!

    Both books look intriguing. I hope you'll share your thoughts/reviews once you've read them. I saw for the Ancients book, reviews seem to differ over how well it covers the topics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to reading them, particularly the command and control sections. They may provide some ideas to help with creating some rule mechanisms.

      Delete
  5. Interesting books - are they a collection of essays? (Matt Bennett in the Medieval book is a rock solid name in the field, and an avid wargamer too 👍🏼👍🏼)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each book has 5 chapters covering the areas of infantry, mounted, command and colours, siege, and naval. It looks like a collaborative effort by the 5 authors.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the glossy close-ups

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alway a joy to the glossy figures out of their boxes and into a game.

      Delete
  7. Tried to buy some Spencer smith miniatures the other day but the range of 30mm have been sold

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those should be good, solid books Peter, I have another in the same series, dealing with "The Early Modern Era" which is roughly the Renaissance/Italian Wars up to around the SYW, from memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to keep a lookout for others in the series. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. I love those sort of books. Enjoy the read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look to be useful additions to my collection of books.

      Delete