Tuesday 2 January 2024

First painted miniatures of the New Year

Following a brief break from painting over the Christmas and New Year holiday period. I finally got the chance to sit down and spend some time painting a set of Red Box Samurai Artillery. They were on sale so I bought the box on a whim, hoping it would fit in well with my existing armies. They arrived shortly before Christmas, so were in a way a Christmas present to myself.

Recently painted 20mm (1/72 scale) Samurai artillery

A box of artillery bought on a whim

A closer view which shows my simple block painting approach.

I will have to think about how to integrate these artillery units into the Samurai rules and play a few games. This weekend the samurai armies will be displacing the American Civil War armies that are currently on the tabletop. Initial ideas are to have them as a static unit supported by Ashigaru arquebuses and spears, but we will see what transpires.

The artillery work well with the Minifig S range figures.

Another view of the artillery incorporated into a unit

Happy New Year!

22 comments:

  1. Well that artillery looks rather nice and hope you can find a way to fit them in within your existing rules. Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. If they don’t fit in they will embellish the tabletop.

      Delete
  2. I guess artillery had little, if any, battlefield utility so it's probably only if castles or fortification are in play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect they will end up to be used to bolster a fortified position or used in attacks on fortified positions. I need to do a bit more reading.

      Delete
    2. Gosh! That was rude of me! May I wish you a Happy New Year albeit later than required by good manners.

      Delete
    3. I did not take it that way - Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year, Peter! My Samurai armies have no artillery. Perhaps my armies are behind in the technology war. Nice looking models!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Jon. That damned arms race raises its head again.

      Delete
  4. dude, it's like day 2 of the new year. How can you have miniatures painted already? you know it only counts if the miniatures were started this year too right? 😁

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All rules were strictly adhered too. There were no “here’s one I prepared earlier” shenanigans. Happy New Year.

      Delete
  5. Lovely, what's not to like? Also, how are you not hungover?

    Regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris. No hangovers, I prefer a nice cup of coffee now-a-days.

      Delete
  6. Peter, I am with Stew on this. 2nd Jan and you have figures painted and a blog post! You are making the rest of us look pretty lazy ! 😂 All I have done is tidied up the painting table and got out some half finished figures.
    Great looking minis as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After no painting for a couple of weeks due to the holidays, I was really looking forward to some painting time. The simple block painting style on 20mm figures allows for a quick turn around.

      Delete
  7. They look like a good "impulse" purchase Peter....Happy New Year, you are off to a flying start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did turn out to be a good buy and a fun collection to start the new year’s painting.

      Delete
  8. Wow, that's fast out of the blocks. I haven't even primed my new for 2024 stuff yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hanging out for some painting and just spent much of the day’s free time painting these figures and guns.

      Delete
  9. An interesting find! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

    No painting for me yet, though I'm hoping for an opportunity to do it with kids soonish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the rare occasions it happened, many years ago, I always enjoyed sitting down with the kids and painting.

      Delete
  10. Beautifully painted Peter and really quickly too, as others have said!
    True 25s and 1/72 blend really well don't they?
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do mix well. It is a shame about the scale creep of 25mm figures.

      Delete