Saturday 6 January 2024

Wargaming Plans for 2024

Usually, I don't plan too much ahead for my wargaming hobby. I just start to look around for the next project when the current one is getting to the wrapping up stage. But this year, there's a few of events happening that will affect my wargaming. So, I'm thinking it will be useful to make a plan to keep my wargaming going.


Another couple of Dixon samurai miniatures get painted.


In 2024, the following events are happening: I am retiring, we are moving to New Zealand, we are preparing our house in Australia for sale, and will be painting our new house in New Zealand which will be extended to include a studio for our hobbies - my wargaming and my wife's quilting. All these events have been a long time coming, and it'll put us closer to our adult kids who live in and around Wellington. We'll be shifting countries in the latter part of 2024.


A few more samurai made it off the painting table this weekend.


At various times, I won't have space for my wargaming stuff, so I'll need to downsize to smaller areas and fewer models that I can easily pack away and if necessary travel with. Also, as the year rolls on, there'll be less time for painting. 


Anyway, here's my plan for 2024…


Reduce the number of unpainted miniatures. Keep painting models for my existing armies whenever I can. An example of that is my Samurai, Ancients, and WW2 armies where there are still a few figures and model to paint up.


6mm WW2. Rework my 6mm WW2 Western Desert armies to fit into a small box for playing on smaller 2x2 foot or 3x3 foot area.


Sci-Fi Terrain for travelling. Make some flat-packed 28mm Sci-Fi terrain for skirmishes using my Necromunda figures.


Example of flat packed terrain from the original Necromunda game.

Battling Robots. Try out a BattleTech-style game using wooden blocks for buildings on a 2x2 playing area. Only a handful of models would be required.


Example Battletech models. They come 4-5 to a box. They stand about 30-40mm tall.


Block Armies. Create some generic block armies and terrain for gaming on a compact 2x2 foot area. 2mm scale blocks of figures may be useful.


Steampunk. Create a steampunk game using card-stock 2D miniatures from Okum Arts Games. This will be for when I have no access to my painting table and paints and want to do something creative.


Example of card-stock 2D miniatures.


Hopefully, these plans should keep my wargaming going while we're packing, moving, and settling in, which will take a few months, but I'm hoping these setups will make it work.

23 comments:

  1. Hi Peter, lots of exciting things coming up for you in 2024! You already know this I'm sure, but your WW2 rules based on Panzerblitz worked perfectly on a 3x3 hexed mat with lots of units on each side. I have been enjoying them for larger microarmor battles in a small space:

    https://soundofficerscall.blogspot.com/2023/12/36-inch-battlefields-ponyri-station.html?m=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, the 6mm WW2 models will work well with the plans and expected disruptions in 2024. I will be drawing some inspiration from your resent setup.

      Delete
  2. Interesting set of plans there matey. Plenty of variety despite your upcoming restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The restrictions will kick big time in from June onwards.

      Delete
  3. Good luck and enjoy your retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am certainly looking forward to the change.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with the move

    Hope you keep the blog going

    You rekindled my interest in Napoleonics with your basing style

    Pete

    Pe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to keep the blog going, certainly for a good 9 months of the year. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With moving country, this may be see some chaos on the gaming table this year. Perhaps during the lulls, you can still squeeze in a remote game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, I am sure there will be time.

      Delete
  7. A good plan for a busy year of transition. when we last moved, we were in limbo for quite a while before a new game area could be set up and a few small footprint games turned out to being essential for the gaming ‘fix’ needed. Perhaps a small boardgame thrown into the mix might increase play opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When thinking about the plans, I did wonder about some board games, they could my life raft should the plans not work out.

      Delete
  8. First of all, good luck in what will be an eventful year Peter. I hope that the move and everything that it will entail will not be too stressful. Plus, that your hobby plans... well, go to plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am expecting a few stressful times with the move, but hopefully not too many.

      Delete
  9. Wow, you do have quite a bit on this year Peter! I assume your new home will be in or around the Wellington Area (anywhere in NZ would be closer to your kids than Oz, but it would seem obvious you would head for the same area and not, for example, Invercargill or Whangarei!)
    The paper 2d figures look interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are within one hour of Wellington. The 2D figures are one of the projects which I am definitely looking forward to.

      Delete
  10. Exciting year ahead by the sound of it.
    I'm using resin blocks on a 30x30cm board from Battlescale here in the U.K. with the One Hour wargame rules by Neil Thomas. maybe they will be of use?
    Andrew (who cannot log in tonight again).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew, thanks for the tip on Battlescale resin blocks, I will definitely investigate. A scaled down OHW is definitely on the cards.

      Delete
  11. Quite a lot of changes coming up. Good luck with all of them. Moving is always a large endeavor. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to the year, but I will also be happy when we are settled in at year’s end.

      Delete
  12. A sound plan. I'm finding games played on smaller boards has become more appealing over the past few years. Good Luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Smaller sized games, I am thinking OHW scenarios, provide plenty of enjoyment.

      Delete