Wednesday 17 April 2024

Defensive Positions for Stompy Robot Armies

After recently painting several English Civil War units, I felt the need for a change, something more imaginative and quick to do. We are preparing for our move to New Zealand later this year, which feels like an endless task, and as part of this mammoth tidy up I was dismantling an old outdoor table for disposal, when I chanced upon some plastic nut and bolt covers. 

The Blue Stompy Robot army a mix of Battletech and Warhammer Imperialis models. The recently created defensive positions are in the front. 

For whatever reason, the idea of defensive positions for the robot armies popped into my mind. I suspect wargamers are just naturally scanning for items they can repurpose for their games. After a quick wash and a rummage through my surplus Warhammer 40K bits box, I was able to create six defensive structures, three for each army. They are painted red and blue to tie in with the respective army colour scheme.

The nut and bolt cover and starting point for the defensive structures.

Defences for Red Army with a Battletech model for comparison.

Blue Army defences with two other models for comparison.

The next steps in my Stompy Robot project involve making a 2 by 2 foot gaming mat on which I will draw a hex grid, along with creating some futuristic and desolate terrain, buildings, and hills. You can find a brief overview of this project as I initially planned it here.




12 comments:

  1. Very nice repurposing Peter, all the defensive positions look wonderful 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They pretty much were the final models to add to the armies. Now I just need to get on with the terrain.

      Delete
  2. You are always creative. Wargamers look for gaming inspiration in all places. A browse through a hardware store is always useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of ideas to be had at hardware stores.

      Delete
  3. Looking good, Peter! I am looking forward to some stompy robot fighting action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope to get the terrain sorted over the few weeks and start gaming with them.

      Delete
  4. Those came out pretty cool. Should be useful one day.
    Good luck with the move. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Stompy Robot project is so I have a small game available when I start packing up.

      Delete
  5. Very clever Peter! A great addition to each army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think the armies are now both complete.

      Delete
  6. And very effective they look too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look a bit menacing with those oversized weapons.

      Delete