Sunday 29 November 2015

Machine Age wargaming and AWI with Peter Laing Miniatures

While messing around with trailing some one-hour wargaming rules for science fiction. I found one of the rule mechanisms of allowing veteran unit re-roll their "hit" dice gave me the solution for representing shock troops in my WW1 1918 house rules based on OHW Machine Age. I'm using shock troop units to represent: 1) German Strumtruppe units trained for infiltration, and 2) Canadian and ANZAC units which gained a reputation for aggressive and innovative tactics. Shock troops when shooting or assaulting can re-roll their dice if not satisfied with the score rolled. However, any re-rolled score must be used even if worse than the original score rolled. The rules are now at the point where I expect few changes (hmmm - we'll see) and I will now think about running a little campaign based around the Hundred Days offensive, which I am currently reading about.

My current reading
In the background I'm still chipping away with painting my old Peter Laing miniatures. In the next couple of weeks I hope to complete enough to play a quick game using the horse and musket rules from the One Hour Wargame book.

AWI units painted and based so far for OHW


4 comments:

  1. Your Peter Laing regiments look great! I can't wait to see your AWI project move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. For the end of the year I've set myself the target of painting for each side: 6 line infantry, 3 light infantry, 1 grenadier, 1 cavalry, and 1 artillery units based on one-hour wargaming basing. I like the simplicity of the miniatures which lends itself to straight forward painting and no fussing with excessive detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing your armies. I started collecting Peter Laing figures a few years ago. One reason is, as you point out, the ease of painting. But even so, when painted as with your armies, they do look good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll need to remain focused with the Christmas lead up and all the associated distractions. Hence the set target. Good luck with your collecting of Peter Laing miniatures.

    ReplyDelete