The armies themselves will be a combination of ACW and Napoleonic Spencer Smith figures.
|My memories of Spencer Smith figures are all in black and white from those early wargaming books borrowed from the library on multiple occasions.|
- A unit must fit into a 6 inch square. (I have no desire to rebase if I choose later to use a grid.)
- Must be big bases. (My recent basing has been one unit all on a big base as I don't like moving fiddly units.)
- I want to be able to show units to be in line or column without the need for a marker to indicate this.
- A want as many figures as possible on a base. (Spencer Smith figures have similar poses and grouped together look wonderful.)
So after a few basing trials I have decided upon two bases for all units and two different base sizes.
- 3x3 inches for infantry and cavalry.
- 3x2 inches for skirmishers and artillery.
I was unsure on the artillery basing. Should it be one stand big based or two smaller bases. After a bit more playing about I went for the two smaller bases. All bases are made for good old 3mm MDF at a couple of dollars a sheet.
|Infantry and cavalry use 3x3 inch bases and skirmisher and artillery units 2x3 inches. This photo shows artillery options - I went for the smaller base size.|
|Artillery on a smaller base size.|
|Artillery unit limbered|
|Cavalry unit in line ready to charge onto the painting table!|