Sunday 22 July 2018

Napoleonic Game

Having messed around during the week tweaking some Sci-Fi skirmish rules. I wanted to play a different period. My choice was between a WW2 and Napoleonic game. In the end it came down to a napoleonic game and I hopped on to the Command and Colours website to view their battle maps for ideas.

A ground shot of the game in progress
After a quick browse through the options I settled on playing a game based upon the Battle of Jena (18 October 1806 - early morning). I say based upon, as the Prussian forces will be represented by a combination of Spencer Smiths miniatures looking vaguely like Austrians and Prussians.

A print of the battle

The Orders of Battle are slightly different to those from the Command and Colours site. Due my armies to not having quite sufficient numbers of cavalry units.

Prussian:
7 x Line Infantry
1 x Grenadier
3 x Cavalry
2 x Light Infantry
2 x Artillery

French:
7 x Line Infantry
1 x Grenadier
4 x Cavalry
2 x Light Infantry
2 x Artillery

The planned tabletop layout was sketched out based upon the command and colours map. The Prussian forces can deploy up to the halfway point of the tabletop. While the French within 12 inches of their base edge.

Intended tabletop

The deployed Prussian forces were split into two as they occupied Closewitz and Lutzeroda. The French were deployed more to the centre.

The opening turns has the French move upon the towns of Closewitz and Cospeda (which was quickly occupied by Prussian light infantry)
French units move forward in the centre.
The attack on Cospeda intensifies.
The Prussian forces defend the towns, but their centre is exposed and the French push their cavalry forward. 
The French assault on Cospeda is struggling.
The Prussians have to reenforce Cospeda.
Midway through the battle and the French have given up on trying to take Cospeda and are concentrating on the Prussian centre and the town of Closewitz. 
The Prussians reposition their units in an attempt to reenforce their centre.
The French pressure is starting to tell and the Prussians move the remaining reserves to hold Closewitz. 
The French appear to have the upper hand holding the centre, but their losses on the flanks means their army resolve is low.
The French army's resolve fails with the Prussians still holding the three towns.
An enjoyable game to play this Sunday morning prior to heading out to the garden. The command and colours maps provide a useful source of ideas for battles which can be quickly set up.



4 comments:

  1. That's a fine looking game Peter. I know I've said it before but I really do like Spencer-Smith figures. Which rules were you using here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am using a variation of OHW Horse and Musket using D3 dice (D3+1, D3, an D3-1) with 6 hits to eliminate as I have increased the number of units fielded.

      Delete
  2. I've been working on a set of grid based Horse and Musket rules. I've been documenting my progress at www.compactwargaming.blogspot.com. Your page has been an inspiration to me and I'd be very grateful to hear your thoughts on v1.4 of my rules. Version 1.3 can be found at https://compactwargaming.blogspot.com/p/test-rule-embed.html.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly. I will read your rule set and put comments on your blog.

      Delete