Sunday 30 June 2019

Norman Paper Soldiers

My Norman paper army is almost complete. I plan to add two Breton cavalry units this coming week. Then I can start to play some small scale games between them and the completed Saxon army (pictures here).

Norman Army
Norman units currently completed are:

  • 4 Norman Spearmen units
  • 2 Archers units
  • 2 Norman Cavalry
A closer view 
At sometime in the past I just have been thinking about Normans and Saxons as I had this Osprey title in my library.



I started building these paper armies as part of a challenge proposed on the blog wrong hammer.blogspot.com - where "The idea being you buy and paint an army with a view to gaming with it for £30 (or the local currency equivalent) or less in a set number of weeks."

The cost to date is $57 the Australian Dollar equivalent:
$24 for Peter Dennis Paper Armies 1066
$16.50 for the Saxon army (photocopying and cardboard)
$16.50 for the Norman army



10 comments:

  1. Are you going to write your own D3 type rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure yet as I have the Dux Bellorum rules by Daniel Mersey.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It does seem quite quick. I think I am averaging 3-4 units per week.

      Delete
  3. They look lovely mate - well worth the time cutting them out. With these and the advent of 3D printing we now how so many options available to us a gamers it's hard to know what format to choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly worth the time cutting them out. After a couple of months cutting out these paper soldiers I am looking forward to getting back and painting some 3D figures, just for a change.

      Delete
  4. Dux Bellorum does seem a good way to go. I think the paper armies for 1066 works particularly Well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I will certainly be giving them a go.

      Delete
  5. Once again, surprisingly effective. Of course my very first army was pre-painted flats...

    ReplyDelete