Sunday 23 February 2020

Wagons and card activation

During the week I was playing around with some card activation rules for some simple grid-based Sci-Fi rules. Instead of using a normal playing cards I used UNO game cards which we still have in the games cupboard from when the kids were young. The deck has cards numbered 0 to 9 in four colours (Blue, Green, Red, and Yellow) along with a number of special cards: draw two, skip, reverse, and wild cards.

My 40K Sons of the Sword Chapter in action against Necrons.
I discarded the wild cards for the moment and stuck with all the other cards. At the start of a turn each player is dealt the same number of cards as they have units. Then players get to play their cards in decreasing order 9 through to 0. Should both have the same number, then they are ordered by colour Blue-Green-Red-Yellow. When playing players can also play special cards if they have been dealt them.

  • Skip card - You miss out on activating one unit.
  • Draw Two card - This can be played anytime with another card and a unit can make two actions (move-move, move-shoot, shoot-shoot). The price is another unit will miss out on being activated.
  • Reverse card - This can be played at anytime and a player uses their opponents card to activate one of their own units. Your opponent misses out activating their. A very useful card.

I will most likely incorporate the wild cards so a unit can interrupt an opponent's activation and shoot or charge the unit being activated. I am still playing around with other aspects of the rules so more of this card activation in later posts.

UNO cards being used for activations
This weekend I finally finished painting some wagons I started a couple of weeks ago to add to my Imagination 19th Century forces. Many of my old plastic Spencer Smith models have succumb to brittle plastic, but not having any spares I decided to make use of them by sticking them to card and adding spokes where necessary.

Making use of broken wheels
The wagons them selves are made from some spare dowel which was shaped. Then adding the wheels. Spare figures from the "brittle" pile and missing feet were added as drivers.

Wagons made from wooden dowel stuck together and shaped.
Finally, the usual simple rough and ready painting approach was used before being sealed with a glossy finish.
Ready for action with a couple of spare cavalry figures used to draw the wagons.
It will be very tempting to get them on the tabletop later in the week. However, right now the tabletop is currently setup for a few WW2 North Africa games.


20 comments:

  1. Using UNO as an activation deck is simply BRILLIANT! I love this ideal! Now, where is my UNO deck?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly. There are 108 cards in a deck which means less shuffling of cards.

      Delete
  2. The crafting of the wagons has a wonderful charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They fit in with the old Spencer Smiths. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Those wagons are unbelievably effective and look really robust for some heavy gaming use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find with my glasses on I more frequently knock over models. Having robust models is an advantage. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. It took me a moment to understand your wagon explanation as it never would have occurred to me, The very (VERY) few carts I've made were done kit fashion but yours look the thing and are doubtless much sturdier and probably easier if one has the skills. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It took a bit of patience to get the shape and size right with the first wagon.

      Delete
  5. Superbly innovative. I never even considered UNO cards before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wagons are very clever, as are your Uno activation ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wagons were a fun diversion. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. That's a very clever way to make waggons Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was good to use the old broken wheels.

      Delete
  8. Great Idea- I'm going to dig out the old UNO deck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. There always seems to be an UNO deck hidden away.

      Delete
  9. Very good idea with the cards. I might try The Tim Tams to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks. I am on Tim Tam rations.

    ReplyDelete