Monday 9 March 2020

Wood blocks for Sci-Fi buildings

My interest in creating wargaming terrain using wood continues. Having created a number of warehouses out of wooden blocks for my St. Nazaire game. I decided to take a similar approach with some sci-fi buildings for a Necromunda style game. One of the reasons I like the wooden block approach is they are easy to stack and store with no concerns about breakages.

Various sized block are cutout with a mitre saw. They are then painted grey.
The challenge with just using a block of wood is all features have to be painted on. This can become time consuming depending on the level of detail required. To help speed up the process of adding detail I purchased a print and construct kit for a Sci-Fi cardboard building. Printing the necessary pages I required, I carefully cut out all the required doors, vents, widows, etc. These were then stuck on another sheet of grey painted paper, and were photocopied.

Details from the paper kits are cutout and stuck to paper for photocopying.
The wooden blocks are cut from a 90mm x 90mm square length of timber. After sanding they are painted grey. I used chalk pastels to colour the block to make them look old and rusted. The required doors, ladders and windows from my photocopied sheets were cut out and stuck onto the block. Finally, everything is sealed with a coat of PVA glue.

A completed single storey habitat block.
I took the same approach with some cut MDF to make walkways for upper floors.

A similar detailing approach for a walkway.
The idea is I can build up several floors to a building and eventually add walkways between buildings as I progress with this terrain project.

The second storey is added. Models added for scale.
The advantage of using wooden blocks rather than using the paper model kits, as nice as they are, is the wood is solid and less likely to be knocked over or nudged and cause models to topple over.

I have quite a few buildings to do over the coming weeks.


12 comments:

  1. A superb idea - these look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It will be interesting to see how many of these I can get done in a week.

      Delete
  2. I agree- clever and well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the detail to stick on makes a big difference. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. A very effective result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and easy to place models on them without them sitting at precarious angles.

      Delete
  4. Yet another cracking set of wooden block buildings:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. On future buildings I need to work out how to bring in more colour.

      Delete
  5. Excellent ..... you cut wood straighter than I do :-)

    The overall effect looks nice and weathered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a mitre saw contraption helps immensely. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. Nice work Peter- ideal for 40K - Necromunda- Sci-fi...a great solution to making many buildings and structures- well done. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KEV. I now just have to get on and make the buildings.

      Delete