|Game in progress|
|Terrain cards laid out and the defender (red arrow) selects the side to defend.|
|The defender is allowed to swap two adjacent cards vertically.|
|The attacker can swap two adjacent cards horizontally.|
|Final card setup after each side has swapped. (Swapping is optional for a player.)|
|The layout is transferred to the tabletop and a scrub is added.|
For this game the Allied forces have had some supply difficulties and must remove 20% of their units. Axis forces had a better dice roll and can attack on one of the flanks with 30% of their forces. However, 30% of the Allied forces can be deployed well in advance of their baseline edge.
Order of battle...Allied Forces
- 3 x HQ
- 2 x Reconnoissance (Stuart tank and Carrier)
- 7 x Tanks (3 x Crusaders, 1 x Stuarts, and 3 x Grants)
- 3 x Infantry
- 2 x AT (1 x Portee and 1 x 6 Pounder)
- 1 Artillery (1 x 25 Pounder)
Allied forces are able to dig in their infantry and AT guns. However, I forgot to add the minefields they are allowed for taking defensive approach with their supplies. I will need to make an adjustment in the next game for this oversight.
- 2 x HQ
- 2 x Reconnaissance (1 x AC, 1 x Armoured Infantry)
- 5 x Tank (2 x Pz II 2 x Pz III, 1 x PzIV)
- 2 x Infantry
- 2 x AT Guns (one SPG)
- 1 x Artillery (SPG)
- 1 x 88mm Gun
- 1 x HQ
- 3 x Tank (Pz III)
- 1 x AC
- 1 x Armoured Infantry
The Allied forces placed 70 percent of their defending units first. Then after the Axis deployment placed their remaining 30 percent in advance of their defensive line. Axis forces had 30 percent of their units in reserve ready to appear later in the game on either flank. A dice roll would determine the flank.
Allied forces setup defences around the town.
|Allied defences setup|
The attack began at 8am in the morning with all German units advancing. Taking advantage of their advanced position Allied tanks moved forward and quickly repulsed German reconnaissance elements and blocked the German tank advance.
|Initial deployments and opening moves.|
Very quickly a tank battle ensued. Allied air support was called upon to help stem the advancing German tanks.
|Allied tanks block initial German advances.|
|Advancing German tanks suffer damage from Allied air support.|
Tank battle and flanking force arrives
As morning progressed to noon, the tank battle swung in favour of the attacking forces and the remaining Allied tank units retired back to their defensive line. Additional tank units and armoured cars units arrived on the German left flank. Their attack was initially stalled by small tank and reconnaissance force positioned in the hills.
|Flanking forces arrive and Allied units retire to their defensive line.|
|Allied tanks retire to their defensive line.|
|Flanking units arrive.|
|German air support arrives to soften up defensives.|
Afternoon assault on defensives
The assault on Allied defences was paused briefly for air support and to bring up supporting artillery. The primary attack would be led by the recently arrived flanking force. After some initial opposition the attackers numbers started to tell and defences began to crumble.
|Attacking forces concentrate their fire to overcome the defences.|
|Last ditch defence of the town.|
|The defence collapses.|
The lost units will be recorded for future campaigning and both forces can reorganise and divisional workshops can repair equipment.