Tuesday 27 April 2021

Ancients project all at sea

I am planning an ancients campaign and I want to include some naval games. After reading some reviews I decided to purchase "Poseidon's Warriors" by John Lambshead. On the first reading they appear to be straightforward with options of adding more from the advanced rules as desired. I will most likely stick to the basic rules.

Rules for the naval games

The game will use quite a few ships and not wanting to spend too much money the choice was to scratch build. The first step was to make a model and test out how to simply make a number of ships. The approach was to make a cardboard shape with the distinctive ship bow and stern, then stick 6mm square dowel either side for the hull. The final step is to attach some MDF as the oars. 

A card insert is made

Two pieces of shaped square wood dowel are stuck on either side of the card insert 

MDF oars are added. The oars were later reduced in size after this photo was taken.

The ship is simply painted

I will use different lengths of ship to represent the different category of ships.

Having made the first model I now have 20 ships in various stages of construction. Two changes to the build process are: 1) I use balsa wood for the oars as it is easy to cut out and shape the oars downwards, and 2) a mast is added with a cocktail stick with card for the sails.

20 comments:

  1. Very clever and effective! I Like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the simple build approach I am starting the mass production of these this weekend.

      Delete
  2. That is smashing Peter, I look forward to seeing your fleets.
    Funny enough last week I tried to buy some lollipop sticks now that the shops are open to make some galleys of my own. They were to be based on Kaptain Kobolds homemade galleys at... http://hordesofthethings.blogspot.com/2019/09/biremes.html) but the shop had none.
    Now I am very interested in your approach.
    Regards,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. It is a clever approach using lollipop sticks by Kaptain Kobold.

      Delete
  3. That’s brilliant! Very inventive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it will keep me busy for a couple of weekends.

      Delete
  4. They look really effective - how big are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am creating 2 sizes where the hulls are either 6 centimetres or 8 centimetres.

      Delete
  5. Very effective. Back when I was gaming ancient naval I used Paul Hague's rules, which are quick and effective. One of these days I may return to the era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will investigate these rules as a comparison.

      Delete
  6. I agree, simple but very effective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping with the simplicity I will be able to complete them fairly quickly.

      Delete
  7. Thumbs up Peter, creative and great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hopefully I can get them to the tabletop quickly.

      Delete
  8. As always, well conceived and implemented.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh Peter, that is brilliant!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you. The ship building is now underway.

      Delete