Saturday 27 November 2021

A week and weekend of painting

While I still have more samurai figures to paint. Their painting progress has been interrupted by the painting of zombie miniatures from the Zombicide board game. My aim is to get them all zombies finished and ready for a game at Christmas. 

The latest samurai unit to be painted

This week most of my hobby time has been spent trying to put a dint in the painting of some 70 plus zombies. I have kept the paint really simple and used a black wash for speed. This seems to work well for that zombie look, along with a lot of dark red for that gory look. At the very beginning I did try some contrast paints, but it did not give me the finish I was looking for.

Zombies completed so far

A closer look

Picking up from last week when I made some rocks from some left over mortar I had. I sealed the rocks with some watered down PVA glue and a black pigment. Both were commented suggestions to reduce dust and help bring out the texture. So thank you. 

The photos below are of the tabletop setup for a quick ACW game tomorrow all being well.

The recently completed rocks

The figures are MinFigs 15mm


10 comments:

  1. I like the paint jobs on the zombie figures, but if I may, I think the bases are a bit bright/busy and distract the eye from the figures. I think a much plainer darker base would set the figures off better - but then what colour is the board on which the game is played?
    Rocks also looking good now - a great idea for what was otherwise just waste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bases are similar to the playing board, which is quite a busy looking board. I will have to see how they go once completed and on the board. Your tip on adding pigment worked out well. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Rocks and figs all looking great. I was about to buy some contrast paints but note you didn’t seem to get on with them. Are they not as good as citadel claim or did they just not lend themselves to the project you were engaged in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Sealing the rocks has helped remove the dust. I bought a couple of contrast pots and did a couple of test figures and they worked ok, but I was still doing a black wash over them to get that grubby zombie look. So I went back to block painting with a wash so I did not have to buy any more paint.

      Delete
  3. Peter, a very fine collection of Zombieland undead. Looking forward to more Samurai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am two-thirds the way through painting the samurai. The zombies have been a nice break. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. A nice mix of projects and glad the pva and paint mix worked for the rocks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While my main project is the samurai armies I find a few small side projects help mix up the painting.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. A nice change and hopefully I will soon return to the Samurai figures.

      Delete