Saturday 12 November 2022

Making a Sci-Fi Backboard for the tabletop

Today I was able to spend time making an alien looking backboard for some Sci-Fi games. The backboard is made from foam board. I have used this material before for other backboards. It is light and sturdy and can be easily clipped on to the side of the tabletop.

An alien landscape backboard

For this backboard I first quickly sketched out a suitably alien looking landscape, then used cheap poster paints to block in the base colours I planned to use. Once the paint was dry I used soft chalk pastels to draw on the details. This all got sprayed with a can of clear semi-gloss varnish.

The backboard blocked in with paint.

The board itself is 9.5 inches tall.

On the back of the board I tape some wire bent at 90 degrees so I can clip the backboard to the tabletop.

Wire is taped to the back

Clips are used to secure the backboard.

All ready for a game

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. It will be very tempting to play a few sci-fi games now.

      Delete
  2. Lovely. Really adds to the game aesthetic. You are quite the artist sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those art evening classes done decades ago do on occasion prove useful.

      Delete
  3. Excellent work Peter! Certainly adds to the atmosphere 😊 of the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the atmosphere looks a tad polluted but hopefully breathable.

      Delete
  4. Superb! Reminds me of the illustrations from my very-worn copies of John Carter of Mars books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before starting the backboard I looked online for inspiration, so I am sure there are elements of those dramatic looking landscapes incorporated.

      Delete
  5. I like your background painting a lot. The plants are also really nice. Cheers, Karl

    ReplyDelete
  6. That absolutely sets the scene. The wire for anchoring is so cleverly simple, I will use that, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wire and clips are surprisingly sturdy. I have knocked the backboard during games and other than a wobble, they stay firmly in place. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. That backboard is perfect - quite evocative of the sci-fi setting. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I only started using backboards over the last year and for me they add to the enjoyment of a solo game.

      Delete
  8. Splendid job there Peter on your 40K Backdrop- very artistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The backdrop can out better than expected.

      Delete
  9. This backboard looks super, and the anchoring is clever as well.
    Ad astra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The anchoring works well as I have knocked it a good few time accidentally. I had to google Ad astra - thanks.

      Delete
  10. Excellent, Peter……inspired and inspirational 👍🏼👍🏼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly. I will definitely be doing another backboard for the Fantasy armies when they are ready for gaming.

      Delete