Sunday 12 February 2023

Painting fantasy and WW2 gaming

 

Boo!

This weekend’s modelling and painting activity finished some Fell Bats for my fantasy armies. They are made by Games Workshop. They we easy put together, much simpler than the tree lord made last week, and fun to paint.

The bat wings were painted with a combination of dry-brushing and washed added at the end. All my figures are getting a gloss finish as it seems to bring out the colours.

I have based the bats on a 3x4 inch base.

At the moment my idea for the fantasy games I want to play is to have a number of wizards of different strengths in the game that can summon up units, such as the Fell Bats. The idea comes from the old SPI game Sorcerer which I played a few times years, years, and years, ago.


WW2 games are continuing on the tabletop using a version of Tank-on-Tank board game rules and using free movement rather than hexes. The games are quick games and played mostly in under 30 minutes duration. Given the short duration, I have been playing scenarios 2 or 3 times trying out different strategies. 

The latest setup uses the scenario “Tank and infantry action on the St James Road” from “Wargames” by Donald Featherstone. I added fields to the scenario so that the infantry can play a more influential part in the game by holding positions and causing delays.

WW2 action at St James Road setup and ready to play.

German forces ready to launch their attack from behind the embankment.

Given the quickness of the games I may create a short campaign. 

16 comments:

  1. Again a good mix going on there Peter. I play the St James Rd scenario a month or so ago and enjoyed it, but transferred it to Russia 1941 IIRC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read you post, it is an enjoyable scenario to play.

      Delete
  2. Cool stuff. I've bought Tank on Tank with an eye to doing exactly what you're doing, but you've got a leg up on me as I've yet to get it on the table. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it works and what (if anything) you've changed.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I will try and post this week some of the rule adaptions to get to the tabletop.

      Delete
  3. Interesting to see that are using more non-gridded games than gridded of late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have certainly drifted more to free movement on the tabletop over recent years. This is due partly to mixing it up, but I also enjoy using the measuring sticks when pushing the toys around the table.

      Delete
  4. Bats and game table look swell. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good looking game. Whilst you were gaming St James Road, I was looking at the Featherstone map and its original twin https://manoftinblogtwo.wordpress.com/2023/02/12/a-small-spark-of-courage-donald-featherstones-war-games-and-solo-wargaming/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I read your post, most interesting. Especially the map comparison.

      Delete
  6. Great looking models and game Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I did enjoy painting the 3 bats.

      Delete
  7. The bats look great. Have you played Sorcerer with miniatures before? The game looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. No, I have not played Sorcerer with miniatures before and the last time I played the game would have been in the early 1980’s. I do hope to use or incorporate some of the ideas from the game into the rules I use.

      Delete
    2. There is a game called Brawl Arcane 28. It's about two wizards and a couple of minions fighting each other on a chess board. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like fun. Cheers, Karl

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the tip, I will investigate.

      Delete