Wednesday 22 February 2023

Three books arrive

Three books have arrived over the past week or so. 

Recent purchases

So far I have just read Sci-Fi Skirmish Scenarios by John Lambshead with the subtitle of “Small-unit missions for use with your favourite wargaming rules”. I like the book for the following reasons:

  • I especially found the chapter on creating your own world and settings particularly useful with its  tips and techniques. The example provide is interesting as you see the tips being used.
  • There are 36 scenarios and a random scenario generator as well. Finally, there are two solo scenarios. Lots of scenario options all around.
  • The chapter on designing scenarios and campaigns has 6 guiding principles to assist you in setting up your own campaign. This is followed by 3 example campaigns.

I often use One-Hour Skirmish Wargaming rules (by the same author) for my Necromunda style games, and will be using this book for setting up the games and adding to the background setting for my gangs.

I will no doubt be getting my AWI and ECW armies on to the tabletop after I read the other two books.

14 comments:

  1. That's an interesting and diverse selection of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice books there Peter and I have the P&S one, but haven't looked at it for sometime, but it was good IIRC. The AWI I wasn't aware of so need to check it out and it could be useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking froward to reading the pike and shot tactics. I picked this and the AWI up as second-hand books.

      Delete
  3. who has time for reading??!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the kids leave home it is amazing what happens

      Delete
  4. I like the Osprey tactics books. There aren't enough of them. Haven't heard of the scenario book but sounds very interesting. I'll look it up. I've really enjoyed Lambshead's other books, particularly his rules for Hammer's Slammers (my fave military sci-fi).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to reading the other books over they coming weeks. I expect to get good use from sci-fi scenarios.

      Delete
  5. Looks like excellent material for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to reading the pike and shot tactics over the next week.

      Delete
  6. I have seen a couple of positive mentions of the SciFi scenario book. I will have to add it to the list. Pendraken have scheduled a release of SciFi minis this year so it is perfect timing. Thanks Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like skirmish games it has lots of ideas for setting them up.

      Delete
  7. The P&S tactics book has been in my shopping cart many a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only just started reading it and so far it is an interesting read.

      Delete