Saturday 4 March 2023

WW2, ACW, and a wargaming discussion

Not a lot to post about this week. In terms of painting a couple of Sherman tanks rolled off the painting table. While searching for something else I can across these and as I was playing some WW2 games I thought I might as well paint them and get them out of the way.

A couple of Sherman tanks painted this week.

The WW2 games have been using the Tank-on-Tank board game rules with free movement on the tabletop. One hex converts to 8 inches on the tabletop. This has given some very enjoyable and quick games. One rule change I have made to the previous ones mentioned in an earlier post (see here) was a suggestion from “Just Jack” to allow non-turreted armour to shoot and move which works very nicely and  differentiates them from tanks which can do either, move and shoot or shoot and move. Thanks Jack!

A WW2 game underway.

On the theme of using board game rules for tabletop games I tried a similar approach with Battlecry, a command and colours game, using the suggested solo rule modifications from their website.

Latest board game rules to be used on the tabletop.

The scenario 1st Bull Run setup on the tabletop

On a different topic, Jon of Palouse Wargaming Journal blog posted an interesting question regarding “double jeopardy” which has raised a really interesting discussion in his blog’s comments. The double jeopardy term comes from Neil Thomas and is an approach he writes about in his 19th Century Wargaming book. Very briefly the position is “If the unit behind cover is still suffering sufficient casualties to endure a morale test, then it is clear that the cover is no longer doing its job – and should not therefore confer any morale bonus.” Jon and I have corresponded on this after one of our remote games, and reading other’s thoughtful comments it is really interesting.

I suspect any free time this weekend will be playing, or messing around, with American Civil War games using my old 15mm Minifigs.

Another ACW game underway.


18 comments:

  1. Looks like lots of variety over at your place Peter! The discussion on Jons blog was interesting but I am happy to accept either position, depending on how the author wishes to structure his rules. I can understand Neil Thomas' position....if a unit in cover is harder to hit, but still suffers the requisite number of casualties, it should do a standard test.....but I could also accept the argument that notwithstanding the fact extremely good firing had caused more casualties than might be expected if you are defending a BUA, the remaining, unaffected troops would still feel better about their situation than a similar unit in the middle of an open field with no cover...so they SHOULD have a better chance of passing their morale test!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed a very interesting and enjoyable discussion with differing views and approaches.

      Delete
  2. A nice mix of games there Peter and as always your terrain looks lovely. The discussion on Jon's Blog re: double jeopardy has been very interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am flitting between periods and really should finish off the WW1 Sinai-Palestine campaign.

      Delete
  3. You remain busy on the hobby front, Peter. I look forward to a return of the Samurai game in which we swap sides and play the same scenario a second time. I wonder what new ideas we bring to a scenario replay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting switching sides. I may well adopt a similar attacking approach as you took, given it was successful.

      Delete
    2. Now, I need to figure out a counter-strategy.

      Delete
  4. 15mm Minifigs - nice, some good old charm on the table :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really nice figures and well proportioned, very different to their chunky 25mm range.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Peter for the link to Jon's blog. A very interesting discussion and certainly something to think about when I am fiddling with different rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots to think about and well thought out views.

      Delete
  6. I like your WW2 Terrain and Tanks and your 15mm ACW- yes, Minifigs are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The Minifigs 15mm are fine figures.

      Delete
  7. Oh my I do love BattleCry, though I do love everything ACW so that is not surprising. Though one of my early and best miniature wargaming experiences was at a con where someone had just upscaled battlecry with miniatures. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun game which translates well to the tabletop.

      Delete
  8. Those Shermans are looking snappy, and don't thank me yet, you'll have to playtest it to see if it actually feels right! ;)

    It's funny, I've got Battlecry, too; played a few games and had fun, but haven't played more because the game pieces are cool but I'd rather play with minis, but I don't have any minis painted yet...

    And quite interesting on the 'double jeopardy' concept. Kind of a tough one; Regarding the morale check, I get that they're taking casualties, but I still think the cover provides a bit of a morale boost to the survivors.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not allowing SPGs to move and shoot, effectively just shoot and move worked. So only turreted armour can move and shoot in any order.

      Delete
    2. Awesome, glad to hear it worked out then!

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete