Saturday 17 June 2023

Some painting and ECW games

Following the conclusion of a two-week-long Ancients mini-campaign with some 13 odd posts, this week has been somewhat less hectic, allowing me to shift my focus towards painting some units. I have a number of completed armies, they being the: Samurai, English Civil War, and Ancients (Punic War) armies, and over the past year I have purchased a few extra figures so I may to add extra units to these armies.

Some simply painted plastic Gauls. A combination of Italeri and HaT origin.

My plan is paint these extra units in small batches of one or tow units. While I find painting to be an  enjoyable aspect of the wargaming hobby, it can be one I easily lose momentum with and lose the painting habit. I am hoping with picking off a variety of units will get me back into the swing of painting. 

The first figures to be pulled out of their storage container were some Gauls from which two Skirmisher units were added. A quick could have unpainted Gauls showed I should have enough spare plastic 1/72 scale figures to complete a small army when combined with the Gauls I have already painted in the Punic army.

An ECW game setup.

Next up will be some ECW figures as an English Civil War game is setup on the tabletop as I revisit my solo gaming decision cards.

15 comments:

  1. My painting suffers about this time of year when outdoor activities trump indoor painting time. Preparing and playing a lot of games takes a slice of time too. My production has slowed considerably. I await a return to your ECW project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good weather does always drag one out of the house. It is also a good time for completing those tabletop scenery projects which are too messy for indoors.

      Delete
  2. You've done a great job with the set-up for your ECW game Peter- your Backdrop Painting certainly lifts the whole scene- well done. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The backdrop adds a lot, indeed!

      Delete
    2. Thank you both. I may need to do another backdrop which is less mountainous and more green rolling hills at some point in the future.

      Delete
  3. I find painting quite relaxing too Peter.....I often wonder what I would do with my time, if I didn't have this wonderful hobby, which requires quite an investment of time in preparing armies and terrain for the tabletop.....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once setup and painting it is very absorbing and the end result very satisfying.

      Delete
  4. Peter, I think I am probably similar to our good self in terms of painting discipline. it is nice to get to a point when you can be adding to an army, rather than than the uphill task of creating from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm, agree, it is a very different prospect adding units vs. painting a new army. One of the reasons I like OHW and your pocket armies approach is with only a limited number of units you can start gaming, then add more later.

      Delete
  5. Rounding off armies is always more fun that starting from scratch. Very much looking forward to the next iteration of your ECW decision cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the term “rounding off” I will have to try as an explanation to the wife the next time I am purchasing some figures. As for the decision cards I am hoping to do a post on their updates soon.

      Delete
    2. Maybe it was a good job that one was accidentally anonymous, that way she can't come looking for me.

      Delete
    3. Never reveal one’s sources!

      Delete
  6. Likewise, I enjoy painting and yet find it hard to sustain a head of steam. I blame it on the lack of a permanent painting station... but really I'm making excuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment I am just setting myself the goal of getting the paints out even if it is just for 30-60 minutes painting.

      Delete