Saturday 2 December 2023

A surprise dice bag

In my recent medieval wargames I've been using a dice-pull approach for activation of units organised into “Battles”, and have been using a repurposed bag to store and draw the dice from.

A medieval game underway.

Anyway I am no longer lacking a dice bag. My wife has stitched together a very handy, and themed, dice bag for me. The bag also includes a toggle to hold the draw-strings fast so the dice don’t escape when they are not being used.

A new dice bag themed with numbers kindly made by my wife.

Over the past week I have been trying some of the suggestions and ideas made in the comments of the last post (thank you for your insights). In the games played, I have been using single base units, rather than the two base units I often use for the games, allowing me to field double the number of units which are eliminated after taking three hits. This low number of hits allows me to use my homemade cardboard casualty markers to track hits. They are a much better aesthetic than using dice or markers to track hits.

Hits are tracked by cardboard casualties.

Details of how I made the markers are made can be found here.

After quite a few Medieval games I now have an English Civil War game setup for a change of period.

18 comments:

  1. Another nice-looking medieval clash there Peter! Single bases with 8-12 figures on will work very well as individual units and allow much larger battles to fit into the available table space, so a good idea for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The individual bases also allow for batter mixing of bowmen and man at arms.

      Delete
  2. Lovely addition to the armoury- well done, Mrs. D!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been experimenting with similar cardboard counters after seeing your posts about them. Works pretty well, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am now working on some for the English Civil War period.

      Delete
  4. I like the idea of using cardboard casualties. I have a number of casualty miniatures, but for some reason, it's always too much hassle to use them properly (perhaps because players are just a little bit more careful when handling a miniature as opposed to handling a paper mark or a die or a colored cube ...). I can see paper casualties would work much better. You can quickly collect them, move them around etc, without fear of damaging something precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cardboard casualties are a useful compromise between tokens to mark casualties and casualty miniatures, and as you mention without the worry of damage.

      Delete
  5. Top notch dice bag - I am on my third, each being bigger than the last, so I can get my big mit in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to easily pull the dice is an important consideration.

      Delete
  6. That's a pretty cool dice bag:)! Nice shots of your figures in action too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very nice bag, my wife even lined the bag.

      Delete
  7. Always nice to get such a thoughtful surprise present Peter. Well done your wife (and you must be in the good books too 😁)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you clearly have a treasure there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. We both have our hobbies and know how important they are to each other.

      Delete