Thursday 14 December 2023

Gradually painting the lead pile

For the moment I am not starting any new painting projects. Instead when I feel like painting I taking the opportunity to add to my existing collections with whatever unpainted figures that I have left over. My current focus being my Blue and Red Samurai armies where I have cleaned up some of my old Samurai miniatures painted in the 1970’s and gradually getting them ready for the tabletop. My approach is to pick out between 4 to 6 miniatures and get them painted with no self imposed deadlines or need to complete the figures to enable a game to be played, which is all very pleasant and relaxing.

My painting over the last couple of months.

The old figures are a combination of a few Dixon figures 28mm, Minifig 25mm and their S-Range figures (about 22mm). Also thrown into the mix are some plastic Zvezda Samurai and supply troops (20mm). I find I generally do not notice the size differences on the tabletop and just enjoy the mix of figures..

While on the tabletop some WW2 games are bing played.

WW2 game in progress

16 comments:

  1. I like your impressive Samurai armies. From the pictures alone, I would not have guessed there was any difference in scales, or even of disparate manufactures or materials. For mine, the Zvezda figures are so good they can stand proud among their metal comrades.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Zvezda figures do look good. If I was starting from scratch and trying to get the basics for a OHW army I would probably get these.

      Delete
  2. Hi Peter, good plan on the painting front, just adding a couple of units to each established period is much more efficient / effective than the new project. I’m pretty sure that I could paint for the next 2 years without having to buy anything new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I have ideas for new projects, I don’t have the will to start them and completing the various left overs to my existing armies is proving most enjoyable.

      Delete
  3. Looks like plenty going on Peter and I like your approach to figure painting! Hopefully we get to read about some of your WWII exploits in futures posts........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is also a good feeling getting the lead pile reduced. As for the WW2, it will most likely be the content for my next couple of posts.

      Delete
  4. Your painting process sounds pretty much like nirvana, just fiddling at the edges for pure enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The phrase “fiddling at the edges” sums up the approach very nicely. I am enjoying only having a few figures on the painting table which get completed reasonably quickly.

      Delete
  5. Always satisfying to paint up the lingering, loose ends. Looking forward to the telling of your WWII battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is satisfying seeing those boxes of unpainted figures gradually disappearing. WW2 games will be covered in the next couple of posts.

      Delete
  6. My method of painting - on the rare occasions I do it anymore - is just to get something done. Anything at all. It could be basing one miniature, painting the hats on ten, or repairing two. I used to make myself do something every day, even if it was small, and found that once I "pushed off," I could keep it up for quite some time. It's more the getting started than the keeping going for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always surprising the progress you can make by just doing a little bit each day. Then once you have started that quick 30 minutes will often turn into an hour’s or more painting.

      Delete
  7. I was always put off paintinge Samurai because of the lacing but your simple style would work for my Clan Wars miniatures pile

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just use block painting and a gloss finish so there is a definite old toy soldier look to the samurai figures.

      Delete
  8. They are looking Great. Nothing like adding a unit or two to get an existing force back out and onto the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Adding a few units certainly does encourage getting the armies out and on to the tabletop.

      Delete