Wednesday 21 February 2024

English Civil War supply carts

Looking back at my recent posts, it would seem like I've been focusing at lot of my time on the wargaming table lately. However, I have actually managed to make progress in painting various miniatures and reducing the pile of  plastic and lead miniatures in the process. The latest bunch of painted miniatures are some supply carts for my English Civil War armies. They are mostly Hinchliffe miniatures with a few random figures I had lying around.

Four supply bases completed.

I did enjoy painting the oxen.

A couple of carts. I tried to select one of each type of cart model available to avoid the baggage train having a uniform look to it.

Currently on the tabletop are my glossy Spencer-Smith Napoleonics in a game using some rules inspired by SPI's board game "Napoleon at Waterloo" adapted for tabletop play. Having played quite a few test games with the modified rules before and after the new year, I hope to give them a final read through and post them in a few days.

A game about to start.

  


18 comments:

  1. You are keeping yourself very busy and Friday is game day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always good to have one or two items on the painting table to balance out the gaming.

      Delete
  2. I too enjoyed painting the Hinchliffe oxen - the Hinchliffe baggae has lots of character, most mine is in the photo heading the "All Hinchliffe Equipment" section on the Lancashire Games web-site.
    I'm also setting up for my next game which is an SSM games as well, albeit mine are the more modern metal recasts and I use a slightly modified set of the CHARGE! rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must pretty much have all their cart range to go with your amazing ECW army. Good to hear your Spencer-Smith figures will be getting on to the tabletop.

      Delete
  3. Initially I never bothered with supply carts and their like, but these days I find them so useful for scenarios and of course table dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking along the same lines as yourself.

      Delete
  4. Always good to have some carts around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good, and they are often the last models to be painted.

      Delete
  5. Nice work on the carts. Logistics make a good target for a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, they make good objective markers or camps.

      Delete
  6. Very nice. The baggage are always worth a victory point in my games so I always include them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping they are a useful addition to the games and I always like the extra victory points. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Great work Peter.
    I am always fond of the baggage, especially if they are barrels. They can either be gun powder or alcohol, both very dangerous to any formed body of men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These barrels must carry the alcohol as I already have the powder barrels.

      Delete
  8. Every army needs a baggage train. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely looking classic Hinchcliffe models Peter, and you have painted them up a treat! An army can never have too much logistical support!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I may need to look at so siege artillery and mortars next.

      Delete