Thursday, 16 July 2026

A few days of painting and a surprise package

I have managed to make some good progress with my painting recently, helped by my son visiting for a day of painting. While he worked on his Star Wars Legion collection, I finished a unit of mounted infantry for my Anglo-Zulu War project, adding to the infantry unit, a Nordenfelt Gun (which I may convert to a Gatling Gun later), and naval brigade figures which I had completed the the previous day. With the mounted infantry finished, I decided to paint some Star Wars Stormtroopers I have had sitting around for a while.

Mounted Infantry

Infantry unit.

Naval Brigade units

Stormtroopers

As having a painting day with my son was not enough, I also received a wonderful surprise in the post. James, of the Solo Slow Wargaming and The Chauvinistic blog blogs, contacted me a week ago to say he was posting through some miniatures that he thought I would find useful. When the parcel arrived, I eagerly opened it to discover some carefully converted Highlanders. There are enough figures for a small unit, and they will soon find their way onto the painting table.

Surprise package contents

Converted highlanders. I am looking forward to painting them.

The parcel also contained a selection of ESCI, Call to Arms, and HaT figures. The ESCI and Call to Arms figures include some interesting models, such as officers and buglers, which will be ideal for the command stands I still need to make, as well as adding a bit more variety to the officers leading my infantry units. The remaining HaT figures will allow me to add a couple more units to the collection.

There was also an accompanying letter, in which James explained the provenance of the miniatures, many of which had themselves had been gifts to him over the years. It was a thoughtful gesture and made receiving them even more special. Thank you, James. It was a wonderful surprise.

A blood Red Skies game for my Battle of Britain campaign.

I am not quite sure what my next post will be. Tomorrow I will be playing another remote Samurai game with Jon (playing the Osaka side) and have also completed the next scenario in my Battle of Britain campaign.

27 comments:

  1. Nice work on your redcoats. A painting day with your son is a great bit of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a most enjoyable and productive day.

      Delete
  2. Hi Peter,

    Cracking progress on the redcoats and the Naval Brigade! The mounted infantry look superb, and those carefully converted Highlanders from James are going to look fantastic on the painting table once you get round to them. Those ESCI and Call to Arms command figures will be perfect for adding that extra bit of character to your stands.

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Highlanders have been cleverly converted. I am trying to clear a space on the painting queue to get them done.

      Delete
  3. Those Zulu War Highlander conversions look like some I did years ago when Esci first came out with their Zulu War figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are your old conversions, and very neatly done too! James wrote about their provenance and how they came from you. I am looking forward to including them in my collection.

      Delete
    2. They were in that marvellous mixed box that I got from you back in 2018 John. The Esci ones are from there two. It's fabulous as now they are all gonna 'ride again' under Peter's deft hand!

      Delete
  4. Nice progress, Peter. I day painting AND a gift, sounds like a lot of birthdays all coming at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days are just rather good and you can only enjoy them.

      Delete
  5. Nice work Peter - the Naval Brigade in particular

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great progress on your Zulu Wars project and what a lovely gift to get, very kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great to have more than half the project done.

      Delete
  7. More fine looking units for your Zulu wars games Peter and fabulous to have a painting day with your son!
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very enjoyable day - productive too!

      Delete
  8. Painting with friends (or family) is always a treat. What a lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The painting just seems so much easier when there is someone else and you can talk and paint.

      Delete
    2. I have organized a regular paint night with some friends. Online. But yes, chatting while you are painting, and having a regular event to keep people 'honest'. It's great when you know you'll be painting a minimum frequency, even if you aren't 'feeling it'.

      Delete
  9. Lovely painting Peter and a wonderful gift from James.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very useful gift. I am looking forward to getting some of them painted soon.

      Delete
  10. Painting miniatures is very therapeutic. Doing so with your son must make it even better. Great progress and what a nice gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a marvellous day painting with my son, then the gift arrived in the afternoon post.

      Delete
  11. Sadly, if I ever have a painting day with my son, it will involve a 1:1 scale dwelling! Nice gift from James. Bloody Blogger is still playing up - I have had a new post up 24 hours but so far only two people have "discovered" it, as its not showing up on anyone's "followed" lists ..... so, maybe you should post again soon, as it might be a couple of days before anyone can see it......GGRRRR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very nice surprise. I noticed a lag of 24 plus hours on my last post.

      Delete
  12. Lovely additions and a nice surprise too:)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a good days painting.

      Delete