Saturday 8 December 2018

Napoleonic Naval Game

There will be no modelling or wargaming for me this weekend, and this a very short post as we away for a visit to Wellington, New Zealand. However, during the week I was able to play a couple of Napoleonic naval games using Galleons and Galleys rules by Ganesha Games. I kept the games simple with no special rules applied. The game uses opposing dice rolls for combat and whatever reason (I cannot fathom why) I am not a fan of opposing dice rolls. So for the second game I tried a modified mechanism for combat, where the attacking ship rolled a single dice and modifiers to determine hits rather than opposing dice rolls. This seems to work ok and I will see how it goes with the next games I play.

Napoleonic Naval Game
Some close quarters action
The ships used are ones a made a couple of week's ago from MDF and cardboard.



8 comments:

  1. Your ships are terrific in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. With a couple of ships per side the action took 20 to 30 minutes to play.

      Delete
  2. I agree with JF, they look terrific and are definitely on my "to do" list as the winter draws in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have plans to produce a few more frigates and sloops to add some more variety. Then I will hopefully incorporate a couple of naval games into a campaign.

      Delete
  3. Peter,
    Great to see your Naval Battle - the ships you made are excellent- well done there! Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KEV. They were fun to make and easy to move around on the tabletop.

      Delete
  4. Love your ships; I have in mind to use an adaptation of these rules for my 15 mm Renaissance Galleys. At least one game with them should be on the agenda for 2019! then there are my own 1:1200 sailing ships...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. When there are only a few models on the tabletop the activation system makes for an enjoyable game.

    ReplyDelete