Monday 24 December 2018

Western Desert Project - Phase one mostly completed

In-between the necessary Christmas shopping I have been able to get more units and terrain completed for my Western Desert project. This will hopefully mean I will be able to get a few games played over this coming week as we are planning for a quiet Christmas.

Tabletop setup for a game
In terms of painting I have completed a good 90 percent of the units for phase 1 of the project. Phase 2 will involve the purchase of some Italian units and a few additional models for a few Tunisian games.

As for terrain I have added some rough ground, minefields, prepared positions, town and road.

Minefields are represented by barbed wire
A scenic rocks and railway ballast are used to create rough terrain
Cut felt painted to match battle mat colour and with trenches drawn to represent prepared positions. I am not sure on this  and may try something different later on. The road is grey felt rushed over to give a sandy look.
Building made from balsa wood.
As for the rules I plan to use a Lock n Load's Tank on Tank rules (free to download) with a few modifications for minefields and terrain. More on that to come, but right now I am needed at the BBQ. Happy Christmas!

14 comments:

  1. Peter,
    Fabulous work there - it all looks absolutely super! Love your little Buildings- very clever...are you going to add some 6mm Infantry elements as well? Merry Christmas. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KEV - All my infantry units come with transport vehicles. The last picture being an example. The vehicles help me recognise the units without the use of glasses. Cheers, Peter

      Delete
  2. That mat has a great look. Hope it gets some well deserved use over the festive period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, the mat and its hexes have turned out better than I hoped.

      Delete
  3. Your Western Desert mat is a real eye-catcher. Handsome game layout. I look forward to seeing it in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy with the way the terrain's turned out and the 6mm models. Everything looks spaced out and not crowded.

      Delete
  4. Lovely buildings, and table...Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The buildings were a last minute terrain feature and trial piece.

      Delete
  5. What a super job on this terrain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy on the overall look. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. Looks great! Merry Christmas, a BBQ sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peter David Green26 December 2018 at 01:52

    Peter, superb mat and terrain. Down loaded the Tank on Tank rules. I am looking forward to reading your modified rules set. Peter Green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I plan to post them up in the next day or so with unit stats.

      Delete