Sunday 24 February 2019

Jacobite Paper Soldier Progress

Having setup the tabletop for the next English Civil War campaign game I thought I would take the opportunity to layout and photograph the paper soldier Jacobite units I have completed so far. To these I am planning to add a couple more infantry units, a second cavalry unit, artillery units, and some commander figures.

Units completed so far
Skirmishers
Another view
On a previous post on the progress of these paper soldiers, a comment asked about the time it takes to create a unit. Each base takes about 15 minutes to complete ignoring drying times for the glue. An infantry unit with 9 bases takes about 2 and a quarter hours.

A size comparison, the increased size on the left and original size from the book on the right.
Now its time to pack up the units and play the ECW game.

10 comments:

  1. Your paper armies look good AND they save you from the misery of painting all of that plaid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, no painting plaid involved which is a major plus.

      Delete
  2. They do look extremely good and I note you have gone the extra mile and taken the card out from between their legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Because each row is on an individual base I opted to cut out between the legs for consistency and look.

      Delete
  3. If I were playing in a larger scale, this would be the way to go for me. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Scaling up the figures also makes it easier to cut them out.

      Delete
  4. They do indeed look great and well worth the time spent on them. I have been following Peters Ancients on Facebook, and they are very tempting. His work on making the elephants more convincing is stunning, being based at a slight angle with the separate heads they are most convincing. I note the ancients (and lots of freebie extras) are available to download and print rather than book form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have been looking at the Ancients and the increasing range of figures. Very tempting!

      Delete
  5. Hi Peter,
    Pleased you are enjoying this Project of Jacobite Paper Soldiers- the enlargements certainly work well. My only foray into Paper Figures was way back in the 1960s with a Primary School Project - where I built a 'Shoe Box' Diorama of Christopher Columbus...there was Christopher, his Crew, Natives and his Gally- oh, and Palm Trees too. Worked pretty good and I was fascinated with it- especially coloring in the Figures and Ship...I think our Teacher (Miss Marnning) done all the Stencils on a 'Gestetener'- which we glued onto thin Card and did the cutting out and coloring in and assembly of the pieces...all good stuff- most enjoyable. Anyway- have fun there. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi KEV. Yes, the units are turning out better than expected. I remember doing something very similar at school as well, battle of Hastings was our topic.

    ReplyDelete