Tuesday 9 June 2020

War of the Spanish Succession project progress

This last weekend provided quite a bit of hobby time and I was able to finish off one dragoon unit and completed a second unit. Both dragoon units have mounted and dismounted troops.

One completed dragoon unit and one ready for basing.
This now means I have completed for each side: four infantry, two cavalry, and two dragoon units. Almost all the units required to play a couple of One Hour Wargame scenarios. Only the artillery are outstanding.

In between sessions of cutting and preparing the paper soldier units I have been reading through "Charge! Or how to play war games" and will be adding a few officers and sergeants to the units I have completed so far. Not that they will have any function in my games other than to improve the look of the units.

A photograph from Charge with all the officers and sergeants
Today I have completed two British artillery units and have started preparatory work on the French artillery.

British artillery

6 comments:

  1. they look splendid. I was wondering how the guns would be done, they are very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The paper guns are nicely designed. I use dowel to wrap the paper around for the barrel and a hollow square plastic modelling piece to attach wheels. It makes them sturdier.

      Delete
  2. A big CHARGE! fan - I use SSMs as shown in the Blastof article on the SSM site. In fact currently re-basing my armies with magnets on the bases to hold them onto movement trays. I have made a few tweaks to the rules one of which is give officers a role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy re-reading bits from the book. Most enjoyable when having a break. The magnets and movement trays you have planned will be most useful.

      Delete
  3. Great work Peter. The artillery are very interesting and nicely made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. The paper soldiers give two options with the artillery, 2D or 3D, the 3D version while fiddly to make is much more effective.

    ReplyDelete