Saturday 19 February 2022

More Samurai cavalry painted and the next project arrives in the post

I am still painting my current Samurai project and another group of Samurai cavalry came off the painting table this week. There are a few more units to finish, even though my output has slowed over the last month or so. With the end in sight it was quite timely that my next project should arrive in the post.

Just off the painting table.

The plan is to complete a couple of smallish armies for the WW1 Sinai and Palestine campaign using a combination of HaT, Emhar, and Strelets plastic figures. 


I have a few books borrowed from the local library which I am busily reading. They cover the campaign mainly from the ANZAC perspective and the involvement of Lawrence of Arabia and the Arab Uprising. One frustration is I have been unable to buy a box of HaT's Australian Light Cavalry and will have to wait until they are restocked. To compensate I did manage to get some WW1 Australian Camel Corp. 

Still to arrive in the next couple of weeks are some Australian Infantry, Indian Infantry, British and Australian Camel Corp, Early War British cavalry, Early War British Infantry, and Turkish Infantry Tropical Uniforms.

I am hoping this will be one project I can complete fairly quickly. I will be taking a very basic painting approach with all the figures. Any armoured cars, tanks and trucks will be simply scratch built. I am planning to paint and base a test unit this weekend with the Turkish infantry.

Where did this project come from? I am not totally sure, but I did see a documentary on Lawrence of Arabia over the Christmas holidays. Maybe the idea was swilling around in my remaining grey matter and finally crystallised at the beginning of February when the first of a number of online orders were placed.

10 comments:

  1. Peter, your Samurai cavalry look great and your Palestine project sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have another and final cavalry unit on the painting table. I am looking forward to starting the WW1 Palestine Campaign project.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like quite an interesting project, on a rather unusual topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The project is somewhat off the beaten track, but is an interesting campaign.

      Delete
  3. Nice additions to your Samurai project there Peter. I think the Middle East and East Africa offer some interesting games and campaigns for the wargamer, compared to the oft see Western Front. We recently watched Lawrence of Arabia, which is such a great film and a visual treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am pleased how the cavalry turned out, and I am looking froward to painting a few WW1 test units.

      Delete
  4. Now that is an interesting selection of 1/72 sprues, much fun in opening each box of treasure I imagine :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I have opened them all to have a peek inside :-)

      Delete
  5. Great new project Peter and I'm looking forward to seeing the home-made vehicles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be getting out the old balsa wood and card to make them.

      Delete